Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Why does my son pull away from my breast?

Default Why does my son pull away from my breast?

My son is 6 weeks old. Even though he opens his mouth wide and I pull him in close, he will pull his head back and partially close his mouth so that he takes a more shallow latch. I will try to push down on his lower jaw but he fights that and pushes it back up. He also keeps his lips rolled in and I struggle to flip them out, the top one is small and very difficult to flip out.

I have seen a lactation consultant twice and know all the techniques to getting a proper latch, I try different positions.. football hold does not help.

I have considered OALD because he does this more on my right side which has the bigger supply, he has EXTREME gassines (though this could be from poor latch), and he occasionally gags at the breast.. especially when I try to pull him in closer. However I never leak or spray and if I break the latch the milk is never spraying out, so I do not think it is that.

We've also been treated for thrush because of my bright pink painful nipples and itching after feeding. But my son has no white patches. And the nystatin did not help.

I know it's hard to help without seeing whats going on but if you have any advice I'd greatly appreciate it. I have talked to many many people breastfeeding support from WIC and two lactation consultants.. I have taken him to a chiropractor as well. no one seems to be able to help! THe pain is less than in the earlier weeks but it's still painful and I hate to see him so uncomfortable with his terrible gas!

Default Re: Why does my son pull away from my breast?

also he sometimes pauses breathing for a few seconds. I will have to unlatch him and he gasps for air and then wants to get right back on. My pediatrician stuck his finger in his mouth and says he has a very strong suck and I should be giving him a pacifier which I do but he often does not take it. He leaves the center of my nipple white after feedings. Could it be that he sucks so hard that he overwhelms himself with how much milk he gets? lol

I would call a la leche leader but we do not have one locally.

Default Re: Why does my son pull away from my breast?

you can call any leader from your state to chat..

heres a link that might be helpful to you:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html