Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: in pain - and questions

Default in pain - and questions

Hi!
    My LO is now 2 weeks old. I started using a nipple shield in the hospital because of latching problems. I stopped using the nipple shield 2 days ago and he's been doing great. But the nipple pain I'm having is like torture - when he's done, my nipple is flat and the tip is white and I dread having to feed him. Ive tried everything to change his latch. It was like this both with and without the shield. People keep saying my nipples will toughen up but does that actually happen? I know there's a ton of posts on soar nipples, I just don't know what to do.
    Thanks for any feedback and advice you can give me!

Default Re: in pain - and questions

Hi mama. Sorry about the pain! If you nipple is misshapen and white, you are most like experiencing blanching.

Nipple blanching (turning white) after a feeding occurs when the blood flow to the nipple is limited or cut off. Blanching is most often related to latch problems. Nipple blanching is often, but not always, associated with pain. Because women may describe shooting, burning breast/nipple pain, this can be mistakenly diagnosed as thrush. If the normal color returns after your baby has finished a feeding and there is no pain, then the blanching is not a problem.

Blanching due to compression

The most common reason for nipple blanching is that that baby is compressing the nipple while nursing. This can be due to:

* a shallow latch (the most common problem)
    * improper sucking
    * baby clamping down to slow a too-fast let-down
    * tongue-tie
    * baby clamping due to allergies
    * clampdown bite reflex
    * palate variations, etc.

When blanching is due to baby's compression of the nipple, the nipple is white and often misformed (flattened, creased, pointed, etc.) immediately upon coming out of baby's mouth. There may be a white stripe across the nipple directly after nursing. Pain may not start until a few seconds to a few minutes after nursing, as the circulation returns to the nipple. If you are experiencing pain with the blanching, then finding and remedying the underlying cause will also eliminate the blanching.
    The best way to treat is fixing the latch. Here is more info regarding causes and ways to fix it.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

with pp, do you have access to a IBCLC who can give you some hands on help with the latch, that will help tremendously!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Hi and thanks for the info! It does seem like blanching may be the problem? I just have absolutely no idea how to correct his latch. I'm to a point where I'm ready to exclusively pump because that doesn't hurt nearly half as bad.

do you have access to a IBCLC who can give you some hands on help with the latch, that will help tremendously
    I'm not sure. How do I go about finding one?

Thanks again!

http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3337

Check that link out and you can find one in your area. I encourage you to seek some hands-on help asap and keep nursing, exclusively pumping is a huge amount of work and if you can nurse it is so much easier in the long run.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

In the mean time here are some great videos on correct latching

http://www.drjacknewman.com/video-clips.asp
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

How deep of a latch is your baby getting? Here is a good "Latching Checklist" from Dr Sears:

Latch-on and sucking checklist:

* You see the pink of baby's lips. This tells you that baby's lips are turned outward rather than tucked tightly inward.

* There is a tight seal between the baby's mouth and the areola. Baby has a good mouthful of breast.

* Much of the areola (at least a one-inch radius) is inside baby's mouth. As the baby is sucking, you do not see the base of your nipple, but only the outer part of your areola.

* Baby's tongue is between the lower gum and your breast. If you pull down gently on baby's lower lip, you should be able to see it. With a good latch-on, baby's tongue extends over the lower gum, forming a trough around the nipple and cushioning pressure from the jaw.

* Baby's ears are wiggling. During active sucking and swallowing the muscles in front of baby's ears move, indicating a strong and efficient suck that uses the entire lower jaw.

* You hear baby swallowing. During the first few days after birth, baby may suck 5 to 10 times before you hear a swallow. That's because colostrum comes in small amounts. You may have to listen carefully to notice swallows. After your milk has "come in," swallowing will be obvious. After the baby's initial sucking has triggered the milk ejection reflex, you should hear a swallow after every suck or two. This active sucking and swallowing should continue for five to ten minutes on each breast.

* Milk does not leak much from the corners of baby's mouth. Baby swallows the milk instead.

* You don't hear clicking sounds, which would indicate that baby does not have his tongue positioned correctly and is latched on incorrectly.

* You do not see dimpling (the middle of baby's cheeks caving in) during sucking. This would indicate that the baby has a poor seal on the breast and is breaking suction as he moves his gum and tongue. Pull baby off and try latching on again.

You can also try and find a LLL leader in your area as well. They could also help.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Hi,
    Thanks for all the info! We had a ped appt yesterday and LO hasn't gained any weight in a week. (he's 15 days old) so she wants me to supplement with some formula and pump until I can figure out why it hurts so much. We ruled out thrush and mestatsis. So yesterday was the first day I EP and noticed I'm getting such a small amount coming out of my right breast compared to my left. With that issue aside it was so much less stress pumping and bottle feeding as pumping doesn't hurt. I got the names of a couple of lactation consultants in my area I may look into but right now my main concern is LO gains weight and I will pump in the meantime and feed both that and formula