Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Depression after weaning

Default Depression after weaning

I recently weaned my 15 month old daughter or rather she weaned herself. It has been almost a month and I am finding myself being moody and little things are making me want to scream or cry. Is this normal? I also haven't had a period since before she was born and I was wondering if that may be playing a factor in my extreme mood swings.

Default Re: Depression after weaning

There is a definate hormonal shift and it does take some time for your body to fully stop making milk so it seems it would be normal in my opinion.

I always end up getting some anxiety when cutting out sessions. I did with DS1 and now with DS2. Makes sense b/c prolactin is a relaxant.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

It also seems possible or likely that your cycles are returning. When my cycles came back, I felt like a teenager again for a bit, readjusting to the new hormone doses, you know?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    It also seems possible or likely that your cycles are returning. When my cycles came back, I felt like a teenager again for a bit, readjusting to the new hormone doses, you know?
    PMS was at its worst when AF started coming back. Is there a possibility that you could be pregnant? A friend of mine got pregnant while nursing and before she ever had a period. Her DD was 8 months.

Not trying to scare you but its a possibility.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

I think it sounds normal because your body is changing again to adjust for weaning. It's temporary and you will feel like yourself soon enough. Congrats on 15 months momma!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thanks everyone. I haven't taken a PT but it could be possible. I am going to see my doctor next wk to see what he thinks and to maybe get on some type of birth control to maybe regulate my cycle. At this point I want to try something.