Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 month old not eating solids

Default 6 month old not eating solids

My daughter has been eating solids for about two weeks, just cereal and purees. For the first week she seemed really interested and would eat a good amount, but now when I try to give her solids she opens her mouth for the spoon but immediately shoves the spoon out of her mouth with her tongue, spits the food out, and sticks her tongue out trying to get the rest of the food off of it. I talked to her pediatrician about it and she said to just keep introducing new foods, and Ive been doing that but she still wont eat. Im just looking for suggestions since I dont know if there are other foods or methods I should try or if I should just put off solids for a while longer.

Default Re: 6 month old not eating solids

At 6 months, your goal should not be to get your child to eat. Breastmilk meets all her nutritional needs until she's around a year old (give or take), so up to that point solids are just for fun. If she eats some, great! If she tastes some and then spits them out, great! If she won't even open her mouth and prefers to investigate the solids with her hands, still great!

Some babies just hate the spoon coming at them. If your baby is one, I suggest taking a baby led solids approach- i.e. putting healthy solids in front of the baby and allowing her to explore them and get them into her own mouth.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: 6 month old not eating solids

Thank you, I figured it was nothing to worry about since she still nurses very readily, its her and my favorite thing. I am interested in trying the baby led solid approach though. I just need to do more research into it. Thank you