Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it better to pump......

Default Is it better to pump......

Is it better to pump for 20 min at a time or for long periods if you can?

I have opportunities to pump for an hour at a time on my way back and forth from work. I also have the opportunity to pump for 30+ min at work during lunch. I usually go for 30 min at lunch, but does any more time help?

Would it be more beneficial to pump the whole way or to squeeze in some power pumping with 10 min pump, 10 min stop the whole way?

I don't know the best way to convince the girls to give me more milk with pumping technique.

I've tried varied sucking (starting fast and hard at the beginning and then decreasing both for a few min and then cranking them back up to stimulate the next let down) but I'm not getting more than 2 let downs no matter how long I try it for.

I've got several other threads explaining what I'm doing but in a nutshell: Fenugreek, water, massage, water, upside down boobie jiggling LOL, water, pumping, water, feeding, water, diet, water, sleep, water....

It almost seems like once the 2nd let down is done, I may as well just give it a couple more minutes and then unhook and wait till the next session.

Can y'all share some ideas on pump techniques that have brought you more output?

Default Re: Is it better to pump......

Breast compressions while pumping. Took me awhile to find the right technique, too. As sad as it was, it meant I had to give up my simple wishes pumping bustier most of the time because I can't do great compressions with it. They maybe don't give me more letdowns, but they lengthen the let down time and more comes out faster. Ymmv! Also, I feel like getting a gOod amount of calcium each day helps too. Finally, I'm a fan Of longer pumping sessions, usually more than 20 min, but I'm usually still letting down at that point too.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

I always pumped through two let downs, I can't imagine pumping for 60 mins straight unless you're power pumping . What is the output you ar getting from two let downs? The object of pumping isn't torturing yourself and to let downs per session seems very normal to me.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I probably get 2-3oz (closer to 2 oz usually but sometimes 3oz) each pump.

Morning pumps are MUCH closer to 3 than afternoon/evenings.

That output is a little higher than average! Many women find because of hormones that their production is higher in the morning.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language