Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: running on empty please help

Default Re: running on empty please help

hi ladies

Its like she knows when her mama is on the brink of a break down this happens every month about...Last night after i put her down at 9, she went to sleep waking up at 1 to feed and then at 5:15 to eat again. She was up for the morning at quarter to 8...KUMBAYA! I don't expect this again to night but it has reenergized me...Following the advice of dj's mom, its 9....OHHH she is up! talk to you all ater....expect nothing you shall not be disappointed...
    first time mama to a gassy but adorable baby named Makayla- Wouldn't give up breasfeeding for anything in the world.

We co-sleep, we love and

So happy to read that you were able to get some sleep! My LO has done the same for me on a few nights -- slept for good chunks of time just when I thought I would lose it. Babies are amazing little beings, aren't they? My LO is almost 5 months and is EBF. I had no idea how hard BF could be, but I'm so glad we have stuck with it. I wish you all the best and have confidence in yourself!

She has decided that I had enough sleep the night before...Last night she woke me up every hour looking for the boob....I have to say that i am exhausted again and she was done sleeping at 7:30. She has been doing this since she has been 8 weeks old. She will be 5 months on sunday...It has been really hard...but my husband has been hinting that maybe he should give her a bottle of formula at night when he comes home from work at 1 AM as i look like a zombie...My eyes are circled with dark brown binoculars and i noticed that my hair is starting to fall out...What can I do? I trust you guys it can only get better! I will just ride it out in hope that i don't get too damaged! The temptation of a bottle is so there...but i am holding on to my desire for her to be EBF.
    Thank you ladies for your support!
    first time mama to a gassy but adorable baby named Makayla- Wouldn't give up breasfeeding for anything in the world.

We co-sleep, we love and

Sorry mama, I was happy when I saw that you had good sleep that one night. My question is what will formula do? It's a total myth that it makes babies sleep longer, it sounds like at this point anyway your baby is dealing with two teeth which is a reason for not sleeping regardless of feeding.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

It will get better.

5 months was about the worst with DD2. She was up every hour or two, sometimes for stretches of an hour or two, every night. She's still not a great sleeper, but at least it's not that bad anymore.

Regarding the hair loss, that's probably normal postpartum shedding. During pregnancy, increased estrogen reduces shedding, which is why pregnant women are blessed with thick hair. But somewhere around 3-6 months postpartum, all the hair that didn't fall out suddenly decides to vacate the premises! It grows back, though: you should be back to normal by 1 year postpartum, probably sooner. (And no, a bottle of formula won't bring it back! Or I would have done it. )
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So sorry you're exhausted. Is there anyplace that you can co-sleep with your LO? I've been sleeping in a couch that folds out into a twin size bed. It's really firm so it works well. Our bed also has a pillow top and it's really high off the ground so I stopped sleeping there with him when he began to move. My son is also teething so I've had one night of him sleeping his normal hours in about a month. If I had to get up everytime to soothe him, I would be in bad shape. My nephew is BF and takes formula before bed because they say he sleeps longer. That hasn't been the case since he's been teething. He wakes up all night looking to nurse. I just don't want you to be disappointed thinking that giving her formula is the solution and have it turn out that she's still waking up. I hope things get better for you real soon!!!
    DS was born June - 2010
    and with lots of help and support from my hubby
    Ready to pump wean!!

Perhaps pumping and then giving her a bottle of breastmilk could give you more time to sleep. Have your husband give her the bottle so you could rest during that time. This way, you're not giving into formula and you get a break. If you don't have a pump, I would imagine that a manual pump could get you what you need and not be too expensive. Try to get a bottle that doesn't have a fast-flow nipple though and/or try the breastflow bottles - they look more like a mother's breast.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*feedingmama27 View Post
    @ dj's mom: i always had an issue with sleeping...i am a light and bad sleeper. Through out my teenage years and adulthood if i don't get 8 hours i couldn't function...no parties or clubbing for me ever. I even had to follow sleep therapy. I cannot nap during the day no matter how tired i am i lay down beside her and remain there for 2 hours with my eyes shut and really not sleeping. The only time i get to myhself is at 8 when she is asleep i talk to my family members who are far away and watch 30 minutes of tv to relax then i go to bed and it takes me an hour to fall asleep...everytime she wakes up at night it takes me 30 mins to sleep again...its the strangest thing...so when she wakes up 30 mins later i had like no sleep....i have to try to figure this out...when will this get better who knows? i do not think that the formula is the answer either...specially that she has a sensitive tummhy and is really gassy it might make things worst.
    How about you compromise? Can you pump first thing in the morning or right before you go to bed and have your DH feed that to her when he gets home at 1am? So you can continue to rest? Without giving up her being EBF? I feel your pain and his desire to help. I just think you can get through it without the formula.

Way too lazy for formula

I feel the same way as the rest of you...I don't think that the formula will do anything to help her...She doesn't wake up 7 times past 1 am cause she is necessary hungry sometimes she feeds for 5 minutes and sleeps. My husbands loves me so much and has always taken good care of me all the time. He just hates to see me in such bad shape...It took her out at 10 to run errands and i slept until 12 AM, but i miss them and she is leaving for work in a few hours...it saddens me that i won't get to see him for long today...BUT I KEEP ON REPEATING TO MYSELF WHAT YOU GUYS SAY....IT WILL GET BETTER.
    She hates to bottle feed...doesn't take it at all and we are constantly wasting breastmilk, i am thinking of putting some water about 1 oz in a bottle or a sippy cup for her to practice and we'll see. Furthermore i had a huge oversupply problem that just got better last week after a month of block feeding. When i pump no where before i could easily get 7 or 8 oz, I only get 1 or 2.
    So here is my plan: From tomorrow i will ride it out and get her us to a bit or water in a cup or bottle for 7 days (once a day). If it goes good i will pump before going to bed and let DH feed her at 1...I will still have to get up after that to soothe her but at least from 9 to 1 i would have slept.
    What do you ladies think?

We co-sleep, we love and