Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mastitis

Default mastitis

I have just been diagnosed with mastitis. My baby is one month old. I have been pumping because my baby chews more than he sucks. Since the mastitis I have been having very liitle production from the infected breast. The doctors have told me to pump as often as possible to help clear the infection out. I am concered that with such little production (.5oz where the other side is 3-4oz) it will not clear up or will not increase production as my baby needs it. At this point I am needing to supliment with formula regularly to keep up with his needs.
    How can I get this flowing? Will it just do it on its own or should I be doing something to help?

Default Re: mastitis

Do you feel a lump in your breast...like a plugged duct? Let warm water run on it in the shower and massage often. Let your baby nurse from the affected breast first before switching to the other one. Try to take it easy too. Hope you feel better soon!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Default Re: mastitis

How are things going now, mama?

This link on pumping may be useful to you: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"