Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Battles with Thrush

Default Battles with Thrush

Heya,

So about a week and a half ago I was diagnosed with thrush in my breasts after I reported severe pain during breastfeeding, my baby, thankfully, doesn't have it and I have been on medication the whole time while still continuing to breastfeed. The pain is far less but still present and I've pumped when I can't take it any more. My nipples seem to always be very tender and I try to put Lanolil on them after ever feeding. Does anyone know if the tenderness is the thrush still or is it more likely a symptom of a bad latch?

But the last few days, my baby, who's approx. three weeks old, has been insatiable at about 10-12 pm. I'll feed him both sides and he'll still be hungry and cry till finally my husband feeds him some formula, usually just an ounce and he goes to sleep. The rest of hte day and night when I feed him, one side is enough for two to three hours. Is this normal?

Default Re: Battles with Thrush

Hi mama! What medication do they have you on for thrush? Did they recommend anything topical at all?

Are your nipples misshapen in any way after feeding? Do they change colors at all? White, blue, purple....

In addition to or actually instead of thrush you may be experiencing vasospasm or Raynaud's. I was constantly diagnosed with thrush and even though at times I did in fact have it, it wasn't until I was at a visit with my LC and she saw my nipples that she said "you've got Raynaud's!" Here is a link with some additional info on vasospasm and Raynaud's. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

First off, are you treating baby along with yourself? Even if baby shows no symptoms if you don't treat him you could just be reintroducing it to yourself. What kind of treatment are you using? Are you cleaning and sterilizing all your pump and bottle parts? Thrush is very persistent and it's important to clean your environment to help prevent reintroduction. Here is a great LLL article about thrush and here is the best course of treatment I found.

The tenderness could be either one. For me, the feeling of thrush was pretty distinctive. It was a burning, itchy kind of irritation rather than a soreness. I would also have shooting pains deep in my breast that were unrelated to nursing/pumping, which I learned were from the yeast infecting my milk ducts.

It's pretty normal for babies to want to cluster feed some time during the evening hours. Your supply is lowest at night so baby is frequently nursing in order to increase your supply. I would suggest you eliminate that formula feeding and let baby nurse in order to help boost your supply.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I am on medication, fluconazole, and have been using a topical cream, but my nipples are coming out with white on the top and they are usually flattened, like someone pinched the nipple really hard into a spade shape. It sounds like from the link you gave me that I am suffering from blanching, though I know I did have thrush because I did have shooting, burning pain deep in my tissue like I was being clawed with razor blades but that has stopped except for the nipple pain so I must have been blanching while I was dealing with thrush.

I just don't know what to do about it because he is pulling my milk fine and gaining weight, I just hurt. I was watching closely how he's feeding and it's like to start he chews on my nipple and then starts sucking, so it seems like he's doing the clampdown bite reflex. But the article says that has something to do with neurological problems? I do notice often while he's feeding he'll claw at his face or at my breast so that I have to hold his hand back while he's feeding and half the time he's either gripping it really tight or it's flexed open as far as it will go. Then afterward, he always falls asleep on the nipple and when I pull him off I have to use my finger in his mouth or he starts sucking again, even though he's completely asleep. Then he just cuddles into me and sleeps and I reach for the lanolin.
    Last edited by @llli*maeganne; February 1st, 2011 at 10:40 PM.

mama. I remember that pain. No fun at all!!!

Is he getting a really good deep latch? Trying to fix the latch should help with the compression of your nipple and the blanching, which in turn shouldn't hurt anymore. How much of your areola can you see when he is latched? Really you shouldn't be able to see very much of it at all if he is on there really well. He shouldn't be able to chew on your nipple when his latch is good.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

The better latch did help with the pain a lot, but I still nipple blanched a few minutes after I fed him which hurts like the dickens. So it looks like I am dealing with Vassospasms. We're going to try the rice sock method and try to apply heat right away.

Thank you so much for your help, I feel like I'm finally getting a handle on what's been going on with the breastfeeding. It seems to me I've had thrush as well as nipple damage and because of one I wasn't getting anyone to help me with the other cause it was getting dismissed as part of the thrush.

Glad things are starting to feel better mama! Here is some other really good treatment info from Dr Jack Newman. All of this stuff was a lifesaver for me!

Treatments for Raynaud’s phenomenon (blanching of the nipple)

1. Identify and Fix the original cause of the pain: i.e. Poor Latching and/or Candida.
    2. Stop Air Drying of the nipples. When baby comes off the breast, immediately cover the nipple with your warm hand while you get your bra done up. After talking a shower, avoid going out of the shower enclosure until the breasts are completely covered and kept warmed so the cold air cannot reach the nipples.
    3. The All Purpose Nipple Ointment may also help for the soreness during the feeding, especially when ibuprofen powder has been mixed in. See the information sheets Candida Protocol and All Purpose Nipple Ointment.
    4. Olive Oil Warming olive oil in mother’s fingers and then gently massaging the oil into the nipples during the burning may be very soothing. We have heard from many mothers that this gave them instant relief and seemed to decrease the occurrence of the vasospasm overall. It’s important that the oil be really massaged into the nipples and not just dabbed on
    5. Vitamin B6 Multi Complex. There have not yet been studies done to show that vitamin B6 works, but enough anecdotal evidence has come forward to support that it does work at least some of the time. It is safe and will do no harm. It is best that B6 not be taken on its own but instead as part of a B complex of vitamins that includes niacin. Depending on the overall dose of the B complex, the amount of B6 itself should be approximately 100 mg 2x/day for at least a couple of weeks. So, for example, if the overall capsule is 125 mg of B complex and there is only 50 mg of B6 in that capsule, then mother would need to take 2 capsules at a time to equal one dose and that dose would need to be taken 2x/day. The mother continues it until she is pain free for a few weeks. It can be restarted if necessary. If you have been pain free for a week or two, try going off the vitamin B6. If vitamin B6 does not work within a week, it probably won’t.
    6. Warm dry compresses can be very effective at stopping the vasospasm as it is occurring and for treating the pain. Lying down after a feeding and applying a heating pad to the breasts for a few minutes or more may help considerably. Certainly, it will allow mother to rest and this may help to deal with the pain, as well.
    7. Magnesium supplements with added Calcium taken as 2 teaspoons (300mg Magnesium/200 mg Calcium (gluconate), or taken separately: 2x daily or 300mg Magnesium 2x daily & 200mg of Calcium.)
    8. After working on the latch, possibly as effective as all of the above is the massaging of the chest muscles which are below the collar bone and above the breasts after the feedings or at onset of nipple or breast pain. The massage should be very vigorous and firm and is done on the chest, not necessarily the breasts. The mother could also massage under the pectoral muscles, in her armpits, but this massage should be done gently.

When this is not enough:
    9. Nifedipine. This is a drug used for hypertension. One 30 mg tablet of the slow release formulation once a day often takes away the pain of vasospasm. After two weeks, stop the medication. If pain returns (about 10% of mothers), start it again. After two weeks, stop the medication. If pain returns (a very small number of mothers), start it again. No mothers I am aware of took more than three, two week courses. Side effects are uncommon, but headache may occur. It is a prescription drug. The dose can be increased if 1 tablet is insufficient. The nifedipine treatment may be used in conjunction with all of the other treatments listed above.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel