Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: well ladies...I think I have a plugged duct.

Default well ladies...I think I have a plugged duct.

Things were going so well. I was dealing with OALD, and we changed positions, and DD learned how to swallow faster (I think...), and I would take her off to let down into a towel. She has been gaining weight so well, and she has even lost some of her congestion!!

Well, today is not so great. I've felt feverish all day, and I thought I was getting sick. But then I felt my breast and I have a REALLY sore spot on the bottom of just the right one. The left one has gone down almost completely, it feels now like it did pre-delivery.

But the right one is huge, and it hurts like heck. I've read the thread on kellymom about it, and I'm drinking lots of water, and resting. I still feel feverish -- chills, headache, etc. I told my DH and MIL that I'm going to need extra lots of help tonight...I can feed her, but I don't feel up to doing anything else. I feel like a horrible mom. Just when everything was going better :'(

Probably that and the PP hormones are making me all teary. I just want to BF my daughter, why does it have to be this hard????

I don't really think I need any advice, although if you have any other suggestions that aren't on Kellymom, they're welcome . I just need a shoulder. I'm going to do what I have to do to give my daughter the best nutrition/bonding possible, but I'm just feeling down.

Thanks for listening.

Default Re: well ladies...I think I have a plugged duct.

did you take something for your fever...?
    Get the baby and go to bed and rest!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

When you have mastitis...

Talk to your DR about starting
    antibiotics immediately if:

•Mastitis is in both breasts.
    •Baby is less than 2 weeks old, or
    you have recently been in the hospital.
    •You have broken skin on the nipple
    with obvious signs of infection.
    •Blood/pus is present in milk.
    •Red streaking is present.
    •Your temperature increases suddenly.
    •Symptoms are sudden and severe

well....it did come on pretty suddenly....which doc should i call? family doc or OBGYN?

i ust took my temp.....101.8

I would call whomever is more likely to return your call promptly and phone in an antibiotic if required. Good luck!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

who would be answering the phone on a sunday night?
    you might have more luck with the family doctor or nurse on call...

That sounds like mastitis. Call whoever will answer faster and get some antibiotics. Meanwhile, do your best to empty the affected breast. Let the baby nurse on that side as much as possible, and offer it before you offer the other breast. If the baby isn't doing the job, use the pump to try and empty the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

or hand expression with massage.

I just went through this Friday night, went to urgent care, got a prescription for antibiotics, and felt a million times better within six hours of starting the prescription. I also picked up some probiotics to start taking to try to avoid getting thrush since I will be on antibiotics for something like 10 days.

Honestly I feel like a different person. I'm still tired but don't have that aching to the bone, rundown feeling I had with the mastitis. I am so grateful I went in once I saw my temp and was able to get help right away.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I have beaten that sort of plugged duct/mastitis several times without antibiotics by resting, massage, heat, nursing lots and repeating, because it e
    always seems to happen to me on a weekend where I couldn't get a script filled even if I got one written.

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!