Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blood in baby's stool

Question Blood in baby's stool

I have noticed blood in my 17 wo DS's stool 4-5 times in the past couple of weeks. It has been a small amount of red blood in his normal loose stool 3-4 times now and a larger amount one time (the stool had multiple spots of the same kind of blood). He's been EBF and is a big, healthy baby (98th %tile across the board). He has generally been feeding from one breast at a time by his own initiative (he won't take the other side when offered) except for during a growth spurt. I think he's in the midst of a small growth spurt right now as he's been feeding on both sides for a couple of days. I have questioned whether I might have a bit of oversupply (fill bottles when pumping, comfort nursing rare, spits upbalot) but he seems fine overall so I haven't changed anything. My diet is stable. I eat a fair amount of dairy (yogurt daily and cheese almost daily) but that hasn't changed recently. Any experience with this? We will see the MD on Weds. and I'm afraid I will be told to change my diet or stop BF.

Default Re: Blood in baby's stool

This should help you out. There is a lot of info on this thread.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Great. Thank you!

Just a FWIW, we were giving DD the Vitamin D drops with Iron, and it was causing her bloody stools.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*