Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping exclusively as she doesn't want to nurse

Default Pumping exclusively as she doesn't want to nurse

Hi all. I went back to work when my baby was 3 months old until she stopped nursing so I pumped exclusively. I slacked at 6 months and now my milk is totally low. She is now 8 months old and won't nurse anymore but I still would want to continue pumping and give her my milk. Is it still possible to keep my supply up with just pumping? I tried to nurse her but she is not interested anymore =(

Default Re: Pumping exclusively as she doesn't want to nurse

It is possible. I believe there are mothers here who pumped exclusively for a full year.

What kind of pump do you have? A hospital-grade rental is the best for increasing milk supply, but you may not need one as long as you have a good double electric pump.

The most important thing is to pump frequently. If you can add a couple more pumping sessions into your schedule, it should help. You might also try continuing to pump for 2-5 minutes after you see the last drop of milk. That can help send a signal to your body that more milk is needed.

There are a variety of herbal supplements that you could try, like fenugreek, blessed thistle, fennel, nettle, or Mother's Milk Tea, which is a combination of several. Many mothers have had luck with fenugreek, in particular.

You might find more suggestions on these websites:

http://www.lowmilksupply.org/increasingmilk.shtml
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...actagogue.html
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

Default Re: Pumping exclusively as she doesn't want to nurse

13 months of pumping and still going strong! You can do it!
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!