Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Relactation at 4 months?

Default Re: Relactation at 4 months?

Well, I have no idea if this is going to work. I wish I wasn't back at work.. it makes it so hard. I work as a nurse on a fact paced floor, and it's sooo hard to get a break to pump. I worked this evening and pumped before I left and when I got home but not at work I hope I didnn't loose all of my hard work of pumping all day before work by not pumping while at work.. UGH.

Hopefully tomorrow goes better with work. I will be waking up at night to pump... and tomorrow I'm going to figure out where I can get everything I need and get it all on order.

I can already tell this is going to be hard.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom.2.brooke View Post
    I can already tell this is going to be hard.
    You're right, it's going to be hard. But what about being a mother isn't? You can do it though. Really, you can.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I could wake up in the middle of the night and pump, is that necessary even though she is sleeping through the night? Or should I just pump during the day?
    The more you can pump, the faster the relactation process will go. You can relactate even if you just pump during the day, but it will be a slower process. Adding pumping sessions at night can be really helpful.

Have any of you heard or have any first hand advice on supplements or teas? I am wondering if there are any bad side effects, I couldn't really find any online. I do have a strong family history of depression and am a little reluctant to try Reglan given it's side effects, but at this point I would do just about anything to get it going.
    I have taken Reglan, fenugreek, and blessed thistle. I had absolutely no bad side-effects from any of them despite a family history of depression.

What will I do if I absolutely can not get her to latch? What if I try the SNS system and just can't get her to latch? Is it realistic to pump and bottle feed if that happens? (not trying to be pesimistic, just wondering if it's been done)
    It's called exclusive pumping and lots of moms do it! Either because their babies can't/won't latch or because they just don't want to nurse. It has some unique challenges, but it is doable.

Well, I have no idea if this is going to work. I wish I wasn't back at work.. it makes it so hard.
    It's not easy to relactate under the best of circumstances. It means lots of hard work and lots of patience, and the time investment is significant. Just remember that you don't need to get a full supply in order for this to be worthwhile. Lots of moms combination feed from choice or due to necessity, and it works out well! Breastmilk has health benefits even in small amounts.

We'll support you every step of the way, Mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well, we saw the lactation consultant and tried the SNS. She refused to latch. So that is frustrating.

I am pumping and getting very little. But, I will keep going.

Considering that I'm working.. I will stop as soon as I feel that pumping is taking too much time away from my daughter.

Sorry the baby wouldn't latch! Keep on trying the skin-to-skin stuff. You never know...

I hope pumping gets you some really good results soon. If not, hey, at least you'll never wonder "what if?"
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"