Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relactation at 4 months?

Default Relactation at 4 months?

My daughter is 4 months old. I am in the process of trying to restart breastfeeding after 2 months off. I am very hopeful that I can get my milk supply going again, but am a little discouraged that my daughter is not interested in latching on. First, I will tell you my story:

After a 27 1/2 hour labor which ended in Csection and gaining 40 pounds of fluid in the hospital, I was nervous about breastfeeding. Thankfully I had wonderful LC's and my daughter was successfully breastfed for two months. Initially, I used a sheild as I was so swollen she could not latch without it. Eventually, once the fluid came off, she was nursing without it. She occasionally was taking pumped breastmilk in the bottle. I felt very blessed to have a little girl who would breastfeed well and take a bottle as she was going to be attending daycare three days a week once I went back to work.

At 1 month old, she became a very fussy, colicky baby. I tried eliminating many things from my diet, including milk. At 2 months old, she developed blood in her stool. I was told it was d/t a milk/protien allergy and her pediatrician reccomended I pump and freeze my milk and eliminate all dairy from my diet. It was also reccomended that I started her on Nutramigen formula for a week while I was eliminating the dairy from my diet. I was told this would give her tummy a rest and confirm the diagnosis. I thought I was eliminating obvious dairy. A week later when I was going to reintroduce breastmilk, I was touchign base with the pediatrician and she told me ALL dairy and ALL soy, including ingredients. This was a very daunting task, and I felt very overwhelmed.

After two days on this formula, she was a totally different baby, she was not fussy, she slept through the night, she was HAPPY! This was one of the reasons I stopped nursing. My 2month old daughter was SOOO happy.I was told we could reintroduce breast milk when she was 6 months OR eat a completely dairy/soy free diet. I was overwhelmed with the diet change and going back to work. I decided to pump and freeze the milk. I did this for a period of time and eventually my supply dwindled. I was convinced I couldn't keep my supply up until she was 6 months old (another 4 months) so I eventually quit.

My daughter is now 4 months old. I have been bottle feeding her formula since she was 2 months. I stopped pumping when she was 2 1/2 to 3 months old. The pediatrician suggested I try her on a dairy based formula again (or the frozen breastmilk). For 5 days now, she has been doing well. There hasn't been an obvious increase in fussiness, and she seems to be doing well. This has ignited a desire to restart breastfeeding. I stopped pumping completely about 1 - 2 months ago. Had I known she could come off of formula at 4 months (not 6months), I would have tried so much harder!!

ANyways. I am in need of all of the advice and support I can get. I am producing only drops of breastmilk. I am pumping as often as I can, though it's hard to do every 2 hours at work. I manage about every 4 hours while at work. My OB said she could give me a prescription for Reglan. The only thing I find discouraging is that she latched on right away (which is awesome) but didn't get any milk and got angry and pulled off. This happened once and now she won't latch on even for comfort when she's full or tired. SHe just looks at me and smiles as if to say, what do you want me to do? Or, she cries. I did get her to latch for comfort whith the sheild on (though I know this isn't reccomended) I tried it because I thought she would think of it more like a pacifier d/t the plastic feel. She just isn't to excited to do this- but I can't blame her since she is only getting drops of breastmilk.

Thanks for reading my story and I'd appreciate any advice you are willing to throw my way!
    Last edited by @llli*mom.2.brooke; February 1st, 2011 at 09:51 AM.

Default Re: Relactation at 4 months?

I should add that I am eating oatmeal twice a day, drinking a ton of water, and pumping as often as I can (every 2 hours while at home and every 4 hours while at work) I have a Medela Pump in Style.

I am going to look into herbal supplements and pick some up at the store today if I can.

I am unsure weather to take the Reglan prescribed by the OB or if I should just try herbs??

Maybe I should pick up one of those Supplemental Nursing systems?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom.2.brooke View Post
    I should add that I am eating oatmeal twice a day, drinking a ton of water, and pumping as often as I can (every 2 hours while at home and every 4 hours while at work) I have a Medela Pump in Style.http://forums.llli.org/images/smilies/ITA.gif

I am going to look into herbal supplements and pick some up at the store today if I can.

I am unsure weather to take the Reglan prescribed by the OB or if I should just try herbs??

Maybe I should pick up one of those Supplemental Nursing systems?
    My first thought was a supplemental nursing system. While you are working on getting your supply up you want her to have a reward for working at the breast - and try to use the frozen breastmilk so she is use to the taste. I also might consider renting a hospital grade pump until your supply is back up.

A few other things that might help. Sleeping with your baby and letting her suckle all night, using you as a pacifier. Lots of skin to skin contact, so whenever you are home go topless and wear her around the house. Increase your pumping sessions, by doing it more often at home and longer sessions. I'm not sure about the herbs or prescriptions personally. I've had oversupply with both my children. Just know that you can do this. You have come to the right place for support and knowledge. Many mama here deal with allergies and low supply.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Welcome! It's terrific that you want to relactate. Since you have some milk- albeit only drops- you are already ahead of the game.

Here's what I would do (in no particular order):
    1. Get a hospital grade rental pump. The PIS is an excellent pump but a hospital grade will probably have an edge on it.
    2. Pump as often as possible. Every 2 hours or even more often would be ideal. (Of course, there's ideal and there's possible, especially when you're working!)
    3. Get a SNS or Lact-Aid.
    4. Check out this link on nursing strikes: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    5. Check out this link on increasing supply when pumping: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    6. Be patient. Relactating is a long-term process. You're not going to reach your goal in a week.
    7. Consider filling the Reglan prescription. Educate yourself on the side-effects before making a decision about whether or not this is right for you. In particular, Reglan is associated with an increased risk for depression, so if you have a family or personal history with that illness you want to use Reglan only with great caution.
    8. Co-sleep.
    9. Try power pumping- it's supposed to mimic the way a baby feeds and boosts supply during a growth spurt. Pump both sides for 10 minutes, rest for 10, pump for 10, rest for 10, and then pump once more for 10 for a total of 30 minutes of pumping in an one-hour period.
    10. See a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. She can help you with pumping and with getting a proper fit for your breast shields, and may be able to find a way to encourage your baby to latch.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    My first thought was a supplemental nursing system. While you are working on getting your supply up you want her to have a reward for working at the breast - and try to use the frozen breastmilk so she is use to the taste. I also might consider renting a hospital grade pump until your supply is back up.

A few other things that might help. Sleeping with your baby and letting her suckle all night, using you as a pacifier. Lots of skin to skin contact, so whenever you are home go topless and wear her around the house. Increase your pumping sessions, by doing it more often at home and longer sessions. I'm not sure about the herbs or prescriptions personally. I've had oversupply with both my children. Just know that you can do this. You have come to the right place for support and knowledge. Many mama here deal with allergies and low supply.

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

I am pumping as much as I can, I could wake up in the middle of the night and pump, is that necessary even though she is sleeping through the night? Or should I just pump during the day?
    I will look into renting a pump, that is an idea.

We are doing skintoskin for now and I am not forcing the latching, she gets angry and isn't interested right now. When she is tired and nearly asleep, she will open her mouth and fall asleep with the breast in her mouth, or at least near it. So that is encouraging. Today she was very playful and willing to try the expressed milk but not actually suck.
    I will order a SNS and try that for sure.

Have any of you heard or have any first hand advice on supplements or teas? I am wondering if there are any bad side effects, I couldn't really find any online. I do have a strong family history of depression and am a little reluctant to try Reglan given it's side effects, but at this point I would do just about anything to get it going.

I have noticed a slight increase, but still very little breastmilk so far.

What will I do if I absolutely can not get her to latch? What if I try the SNS system and just can't get her to latch? Is it realistic to pump and bottle feed if that happens? (not trying to be pesimistic, just wondering if it's been done)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom.2.brooke View Post
    I am pumping as much as I can, I could wake up in the middle of the night and pump, is that necessary even though she is sleeping through the night? Or should I just pump during the day?
    I will look into renting a pump, that is an idea.

We are doing skintoskin for now and I am not forcing the latching, she gets angry and isn't interested right now. When she is tired and nearly asleep, she will open her mouth and fall asleep with the breast in her mouth, or at least near it. So that is encouraging. Today she was very playful and willing to try the expressed milk but not actually suck.
    I will order a SNS and try that for sure.

Have any of you heard or have any first hand advice on supplements or teas? I am wondering if there are any bad side effects, I couldn't really find any online. I do have a strong family history of depression and am a little reluctant to try Reglan given it's side effects, but at this point I would do just about anything to get it going.

I have noticed a slight increase, but still very little breastmilk so far.

What will I do if I absolutely can not get her to latch? What if I try the SNS system and just can't get her to latch? Is it realistic to pump and bottle feed if that happens? (not trying to be pesimistic, just wondering if it's been done)
    Don't stress it right now if she won't latch. Just having her near your breast should stimulate milk production. Don't think about the what ifs right now. Concentrate on giving her a "reward" at the breast by getting your supply up. I personally would pump during the night because it's about stimulation at this point, not when her actual feedings are. Once your milk is back to normal, then you would only have to worry about pumping when she gets a bottle or milk via the SNS.

I took fenugreek to boost my supply, but I didn't use it to relactate, I just had low milk for a while in the beginning. I'm not sure how it compares to reglan/other scripts, but it worked for me ONLY if I would pump around the clock, going no longer than three hours.

I took four capsules three times a day.

Side effect: Gas. Lots of it! You know you're taking enough when you smell like maple syrup. I know, awesome.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    Side effect: Gas. Lots of it! You know you're taking enough when you smell like maple syrup. I know, awesome.
    If maple syrup is the worst smell you've ever had come out of you, you've lived a privileged life.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    If maple syrup is the worst smell you've ever had come out of you, you've lived a privileged life.
    it's actually not even that bad, but my DH always knows when i've started taking it - he says I smell like indian food ETA: and fenugreek gas does not smell like maple syrup
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it