Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: upset in sd

Default Re: upset in sd

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alilwest View Post
    The 23 oz is what she ate when i was still pumping exclusively and supplementing. I havent bf exclusively since she was a week old.

I took fenugreek for a while and didnt notice a difference. I've been taking more milk plus for a little while now, and that has slightly helped.

I've been letting her eat as often and for as long as she wants today. eventually she started crying and refused to stay latched on, but was still hungry. Its that situation i dont know how to handle. I tried for about 10 minutes to get her to relatch, I tried both sides several times, but she would un-latch after about 2 sucks and start crying. I lso tried calming her down by just rocking, but that didn't help either...
    Oh, just keep trying, Mama. You're doing great.

How much fenugreek did you try taking? When I took it, i took four capsules three times a day, and emptied my breasts (either by pumping or by nursing) every 2-3 hours, AROUND THE CLOCK. I know that sounds brutal, but i found i had to do it that way to notice a sustainable increase.

ETA: and i only had to do the around the clock thing for 28-72 hours to notice a difference.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I've been letting her eat as often and for as long as she wants today. eventually she started crying and refused to stay latched on, but was still hungry. Its that situation i dont know how to handle. I tried for about 10 minutes to get her to relatch, I tried both sides several times, but she would un-latch after about 2 sucks and start crying. I lso tried calming her down by just rocking, but that didn't help either...
    Around what time of day did this happen? A lot of times young babies have severe evening fussiness (a.k.a. the witching hour(s) or evenings-only colic) and it has very little to do with hunger. Some things you can try when nursing doesn't work:
    - Motion. Rock in a rocking chair, go for a walk, swing, ride in the car.
    - Sling. Being held upright and close can soothe.
    - Bath.
    - Fresh air. Take baby outside.
    - White noise.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This happened around 1230pm, her usual fussy time is around 8-9pm . This is what we've done so far today...

bf: 430am, 20 min
    bf: 545am, 15 min
    bf: 10am, 40 min
    bf: 1130am, 1hr....supplement: 1230pm, 3oz, would no longer nurse, but was still hungry
    bf: 430pm 45 min....supplement: 515pm, 4.5oz, again wouldn't nurse, but was still hungry

I still have some fenugreek, so I can start taking that again in larger quantities. maybe i'll start waking up at least once during the night to pump, too. Hopefully that will help. I've been enjoying my 6hr stretch of sleep, but it's probably hurting my supply.

Mama, how do you know she's still hungry if she won't nurse? Your Lo sounds to me like she insists on the breast when she's hungry.

Newborns fuss and cry a lot. Mommal had good tips. Have you checked out The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp?

I spent manyyyyy hours parked on the couch when dd was your lo's age. Let her nurse and enjoy this time. It fades very quickly!

I applaud you on your efforts. Trust your body, mama. It was made to feed your baby.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I assumed she was still hungry because she would ravenously latch on and then let go and start crying after maybe sucking only three times.

I assumed she was still hungry because she would ravenously latch on and then let go and start crying after maybe sucking only three times.
    To me that doesn't necessarily indicate hunger. A hungry baby who is a decent nurser usually finds a way to stay latched and get the milk out, YK? I'm not saying you're wrong, because obviously you know your baby best. But there are still other options to explain the behavior, like baby being tired, wanting a bottle (because it's easier), wanting a diaper change, needing to poop...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

That very well may be the case. I'll try some other things today if it happens again. Her wet diapers are also not nearly as full as they were previously. last night she nursed for almost an hour and a half before going to bed. I thought that was a great sign that she got enough, but her first diaper this morning was barely wet. Usually it's saturated. Her other diapers yesterday were barely wet as well.... Does it take a few days for her to start making more wet diapers if she's nursing as often and as long as she wants? I feel discouraged again.

this is so hard... i see why so many people give up

It may take a few days to get your supply up to the perfect level. Just keep watching the diapers- as long as you're getting the right number in 24 hours, you're okay even if the diapers are lighter than you expect. One way to get an accurate count of wets is to put a piece of tissue paper in front of the baby's vulva. When she pees, the tissue paper will be visibly wet.

The next diaper I changed this morning was saturated.

The others have been so light that i have to do the sniff test to determine if there's even pee on them... and sure enough, there was! She hasn't pooped yet today, but ten minutes in the swing will solve that problem.

She has received no supplement today!!!

Good job! I know it can be hard. You won't regret trying. Promise.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!