Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: upset in sd

Default Re: upset in sd

Agree with many of the previous posts. Your milk production is right on target. If your baby nurses 10 to 12 times over a 24 hour period you are doing great. Count the wet diapers and the soiled diapers. 6-8 wet ones, plenty of soiled ones, depending on the day. if the baby is getting breastmilk exclusively the soiled diapers will be yellow/green and runny.

4-5 ounces of breastmilk per feeding is an ounce or two more than an infants tummy can handle. 2-3 ounces per feeding with a period of marathon nursing in the early evening is more typical. For me, the marathon feeding took up the whole 4pm to 7pm time slot. So who knows how much milk the baby really got. Happy baby, soft breasts after nursing, wet and soiled diapers. Prolactin high for momma..its all good.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Ah.. that's great. Thank you so much. Because I was bottle feeding her for a few weeks there, she is used to getting about 4-5oz, about 6 times per day.

Any advice on how to transition into eating less more frequently?

The information I had received at the support group, that 2-3month olds consume 24-32oz per day, at about 4-5oz per feeding, was gathered by what "they" know about formula-fed babies. So, it makes sense that it isn't applicable to a breastfed baby. But, why they're giving this information out at a breastfeeding support group is rather curious.

Any advice on how to transition into eating less more frequently?
    1. Use the slowest flow nipple available.
    2. Pause the feeding frequently, after about every 1 oz of milk, to get the baby used to the normal start-and-stop rhythm of breastfeeding and to encourage her to read her own satiation cues.
    3. Offer a finger to suck on, a pacifier, or better yet, your own breast after she has eaten a couple of oz from the bottle.
    4. Try to gradually decrease the size of feedings. You probably won't be able to go from 5 oz to 2 oz immediately, but you can certainly go from 4 oz to 3 oz and see what happens.
    5. Feed more frequently.

The information I had received at the support group, that 2-3month olds consume 24-32oz per day, at about 4-5oz per feeding, was gathered by what "they" know about formula-fed babies. So, it makes sense that it isn't applicable to a breastfed baby. But, why they're giving this information out at a breastfeeding support group is rather curious.
    That's really weird!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Since I started re-introducing the breast, I've noticed that she sleeps more during the day. Is this normal?

Nevermind! I think she's going through a growth spurt. She's 10.5 weeks...

Bad timing to reintroduce the breast!!! Oh well... It's worth it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alilwest View Post
    Nevermind! I think she's going through a growth spurt. She's 10.5 weeks...

Bad timing to reintroduce the breast!!! Oh well... It's worth it
    No actually probably the BEST time to re-introduce. Because no matter what the baby WILL WANT TO EAT ALL THE TIME. The more stimulation your breasts get, the more milk they will make.

Way too lazy for formula

Heya, just wanted to say I am by no means an expert but I also went through soo many probs for the 1st couple of months bfeeding so I understand how you feel. The guilt of not being able to feed your LO has to be the worst I've ever felt but it does get easier, with practice baby will figure out how to get milk faster and easier. Throw away the bottles and spend a couple of days just feeding constantly to build up your supply. Though be prepared, even at 8mnths mine still needs feeding every 2hrs through the day and lots in the evening, which is waaay off what a formula fed baby would be doing, though it only takes 5mins per feeding now. On the plus side not only is it best for baby, but when it does start going well its the best feeling in the world good luck and stick with it hun xx

I just wanted to let you know that I completely know what you're going through. And I am sorry that you were being so hard on yourself in the beginning. It sounds like you just didn't have the support that you needed to be able to educate yourself about the breastfeeding experience. I had issues in the beginning with weightloss/gain and I had to supplement with formula from day one home from the hospital. I use breastflow bottles which encourage baby to drink in a similar way to nursing and I find these to be very effective. Although LO has one great suck so he can still get the milk pretty quickly from these bottles. I was told at some point (and I liked the notion so it stuck with me) that our bodies naturally create less milk in the evenings because babies need to suck more for comfort after a full day of activities and socializing. It helps calm them down and stock up for night time. Also, once things are going more smoothly, it helps mama to relax too. One thing I wanted to recommend is a nipple shield. I started using one of these in the hospital with LO because my nipples were so sore. And this weekend I actually ended up with a blood blister (I think) that is pretty sore, so I will start using the nipple shield again until it is healed. Also, I recommend co-sleeping for night time feedings and just in general nursing while laying down. This might sound complicated or uncomfortable, but it has become my saving grace. I love sleeping with DS. He tends to wake up in the mornings with a smile on his face after a night full of feeding. And I actually sleep quite well. Definitely look up a La Leche League meeting and find yourself some support. It gets easier and it gets much more enjoyable. 1 day at a time, 1 feeding at a time.
    Love being a mom to DS
    Love and helps keep my sanity.
    at work is annoying but worth it for DS.
    helps me feel closer to DS since I'm away during the day.

with my Hubby who is currently in remission from Leukemia. Everyday is a blessing!

Thank you everyone for all the help and encouragement. At the support group last Thurs, my baby weighed 12lbs, 9oz. Since then I've been breastfeeding her as much as possible, and supplementing as I feel necessary. Each day she's been taking less and less formula- luckily she's good at "telling" me when she's full. Anyhow, we went in for her two month check up yesterday and she was 13lbs even. She even took a big poop before we left the house, so I know that was an accurate weight. She went from 12lbs 9oz to 13lbs in 4 days. I was so happy! This also confirms that her sleepiness last week was due to a growth spurt.

I'm not experiencing the soreness I had experienced the last time around. Occasionally she'll pull away slightly and tug at the nipple which hurts like heck, but that's the only pain I have. We're even getting more comfortable with different positions. She's also been having pretty regular poops, though her wet diapers don't seem to be as saturated as they were when she was taking in more formula... is this normal? I cannot tell you all how relieved and happy I am that my baby and I are getting in sync... it only took 10 1/2 weeks! Thanks for all your support! This is by far one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.

That's great! Keep at it! Where are you at in terms of supplements?

Way too lazy for formula