Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: upset in sd

Default Re: upset in sd

For some reason I didn't think 1-2oz was enough per feeding. Maybe because she eats so much when she eats from a bottle, sometimes up to six ounces per meal. I definitely want to get her back to breastfeeding. I love it.

She still will latch too. That's a relief. I think my goal for right now is to go to an LLL meeting.

dont forget as well when babies nurse, their suckle is much stronger and get a more sufficient amount of milk, than when you pump. Also, bc your low is so young...if you were feeding her 5-6ozs @ each feeding, she would be getting upwards of 50ozs a day. (that is a lot) 2ozs @ a feeding is pretty normal.
    The breast if babies first instinct as well. refer to the given website for further support and def consider attending your LLL meeting.
    Good Luck Mama!!! We are all here to cheer you on. Sometimes thats all you need! I know!
    ....................................we all have "bad" days. Or even weeks. Stick with it. you will be glad you did.

Hello!! I'm Jenna

Married my best friend Frank (9-4-10)
    Mom to Frank V 10-27-10, we and we love it, most days while @ work together

All organic and love to grow food!!

While breastfeeding may not seem the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby. ~Amy Spangler

She eats a lot at each feeding, but doesn't eat that often. yesterday she ate 23 oz in 6 feedings. So, sounds like i do make enough, I just need to get her to eat less but more frequently. And i still need to work on the latch. I can never get my nipple back far enough.

I really appreciate all the help. My husband, family and friends are sick of me talking about breastfeeding. I havent even told them that im going to start up again. They treat breastfeeding like an abusive ex-boyfriend that i cant seem to get over. I keep wanting to go back and they don't want to see me upset...again. theyd rather see me quit than get good support. Anyhow, I thank you all for being here and helping me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alilwest View Post
    I really appreciate all the help. My husband, family and friends are sick of me talking about breastfeeding. I havent even told them that im going to start up again. They treat breastfeeding like an abusive ex-boyfriend that i cant seem to get over. I keep wanting to go back and they don't want to see me upset...again. theyd rather see me quit than get good support. Anyhow, I thank you all for being here and helping me.
    You have to do what you know is best for your baby, which is breast. Baby can eat the perfect amount as long as you give baby a chance. Turn on your crockpot, let it cook your dinner, then just feed your baby. They eat all evening because they are cluster feeding. I think in order to get ready for the "long" naps. Ignore your parents. LLL can answer your questions and listen to your cries of frustration. Good luck! Quit supplementing. Throw the blasted bottles in the trash!
    DS1 Chase John Born 6/30/04
    DS2 Van Gunner 6/22/10
    DD1 Adelynn Grace 1/20/14

I went to a breastfeeding support group today and got some help. We did the weigh before and after nursing thing, and apparently my baby got 2.5 ounces in about 40 min, which is better than what she was getting before (1.3oz). the LC said that my baby has a shallow suck... I guess she doesn't open her mouth that much while nursing...? This is probably why my nipples are always pinched.

Anyhow, I was also advised that 2 month olds should be eating between 4-5 oz per feeding... about 24-32oz per day. I guess I'll just have to keep working on my production and see how much I can increase it.

Any advice??

I just wanted to add that it takes practice! Practice for you--to learn your baby's nursing style and gain confidence in yourself and your body AND practice for baby--to learn how to latch, drink and get that milk! Wish you the best.

Correcting the latch is super important, and IT will just take time. A better latch can help with milk transfer. I don't know how accurate that info you got was though, my son never had 5 oz and he's three!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

That page is good it's for calculating intake while pumping but notice in the introduction it states that the current info is that a baby's intake does NOT change between one and six month and the total oz per day is really what is important as opposed to a single feed. Hang in there you're doing great!
    Last edited by @llli*jenna562; February 4th, 2011 at 01:42 AM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alilwest View Post
    I went to a breastfeeding support group today and got some help. We did the weigh before and after nursing thing, and apparently my baby got 2.5 ounces in about 40 min, which is better than what she was getting before (1.3oz). the LC said that my baby has a shallow suck... I guess she doesn't open her mouth that much while nursing...? This is probably why my nipples are always pinched.

Anyhow, I was also advised that 2 month olds should be eating between 4-5 oz per feeding... about 24-32oz per day. I guess I'll just have to keep working on my production and see how much I can increase it.

Any advice??
    That's actually a REALLY HIGH estimate. A child generally takes in 2-3 oz in a feeding if they are eating 8-12 times in a 24hour period. A child who takes in 4oz is generally a child who is only eating 6times a day.
    So think about how many times your child eats in a day. And do the math. 2.5 x 8 feeds is 32oz. And that really is on the high side. So....whoever gave you that estimate....is tripping. Your child will probably NEVER take in 5oz unless it's from a bottle. So I wouldn't be too awfully worried about increasing it. I think you are fine.

Way too lazy for formula

sounds like your production is great! I agree that esitmate for a 2 month old is HIGH!! I had to EP for my son, due to his cleft lip and palate, and he NEVER had more then 5oz and that was at a year old!

I have learned that LC is not the same as IBCLC and sometimes they dont give the best help or info.

Infants are supposed to nurse, nurse and then nurse some more! Can you get a sling or a wrap and wear your baby? this way you can latch him and nurse him as long as he wants and you will be free to do a few things?

Frequent nursing is normal, baby falling asleep at the breast is normal! Baby drinking MORE at the bottle is becasue they cannot control the flow, the milk comes out and they either drink it or choke, so they drink it. That doesnt mean they want or need that much! And of course they will sleep longer after such a huge feed. Did you ever overeat and then feel so full you want to sleep?

You are doing super! Keep it up and I cant wait for you to attend LLL meeting, you will get a lot of help and info there too!

KEEP NURSING!!!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK