Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: upset in sd

Default upset in sd

my beautiful daughter is just over two months old and is currently getting breastmilk and formula, both from a bottle. I've struggled with breastfeeding since week one and have gone back and forth between exclusively pumping and trying to breastfeed, having to supplement the whole time. I felt guilty because she never filled up from nursing, so I would supplement, knowing that each time I gave her formula it affected my supply... I just couldn't seem to get the hang of it. I became obsessive because i wanted to breastfeed exclusively so badly. My baby nursed well on one side, but seemed to pinch my right breast each time, despite many attempts at getting her to latch on correctly. During my last phase of trying to breastfeed, I would nurse and she would fall asleep and i couldn't get her to relatch, or she would nurse for an hour+ and still be hungry. Anyhow, it hasn't been smooth from day one.

I actually starting seeing a therapist a few weeks ago for ppd because of my guilt and perceived failure regarding breastfeeding. At that time I decided to stop breastfeeding and to start pumping exclusively. that was not an easy decision because i felt like a failure and felt guilty giving up. I'm finding that I still yearn to breastfeed and so desperately miss that experience with my baby. Can anyone offer any advice? I would love to give this another shot but have very little confidence.
    Last edited by @llli*alilwest; February 1st, 2011 at 12:34 AM.

Default Re: upset in sd

So what are you doing now? Are you exclusively pumping? Pumping every time she feeds?

Way too lazy for formula

I am exclusively pumping. During the day I try to pump every 2-4 hours, at night i pump each time she wakes up to eat. Once or twice.

SO how often do you pump in 24hours?

Way too lazy for formula

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html

That is a link for how to tell if baby is getting enough, what exactly makes you think she wasn't? All h behavior you described sounds completely normal to me o I don't understand th decision to supplement. It's more of. Decision to trust your body. Do you want o tr to get baby back on the breast?

Info on getting baby back to breast and weaning from supplements
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

You CAN do this, your body CAN do this, we can help through the process but don't give up.
    Last edited by @llli*jenna562; February 1st, 2011 at 03:00 AM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Hi mama! Congrats on your baby.

I agree that it isn't too late to get baby back to the breast and get your supply where it needs to be.

I am in San Diego also. Have you seen a Lactation Consultant? Can I ask if you are with Kaiser? If you are I can recommend an AMAZING lactation consultant to see.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I'm sorry things haven't gone well with nursing, Mama. It is so hard when your dream breastfeeding experience turns into a nightmare! Please let go of the guilt. Just because breastfeeding is natural doesn't mean it's easy, and you have not "failed." Sometimes being successful at breastfeeding means redefining what success is. For some moms that means exclusive pumping. For others that means accepting that their kids will be supplemented with formula or donor milk.

If you want to get your baby back to the breast, this link covers how to do it: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Definitely see the LC!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I probably only pump 5-6 times a day. Only two, or on a rare occasion three, of her meals per day are formula. Usually my pumping will take care of her other meals.

I guess I figured she wasn't getting enough because I would nurse and nurse, often for an hour+ and she would still be hungry. Usually this was at the end of the day, though, when milk production tends to slow down a bit (at least that’s what I’ve heard). It seemed as though she would stop nursing because she would fall asleep not because she would fill up. She usually wanted to eat again within 20-30 min of nursing. I tried to keep her on the cool side and to change breasts often so she would stay awake, but she fell asleep frequently.

I guess I also stopped because of the soreness I felt, primarily on the right side, but occasionally on the left side as well. I felt like I was shoving my breast into her mouth, but I don't think I was getting my nipple far enough back as it would frequently be mishapen from being pinched in her mouth. I most definitely want to get her back onto the breast.

I have Sharp healthcare and have attended one of their breastfeeding support groups. (It was actually there that I discovered that in 40 minutes of nursing, my baby only got about 1.3 ounces of milk. That was another discouragement. That was when she was only about 3.5 weeks old.) Anyhow, besides that I haven't seen any other lactation consultants.

I should probably just go to a LLL meeting and get some in-person support.

Yep hands on support would be great for getting baby back to the breast. Also just to maintain my supply when I was working with an IBCLC the rule was to pump or nurse 8-10x per day to just maintain supply, so to increase it you should aim for the higher number on that one, also check out the links we all linked in our responses.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I also think that 1.3 oz in 40 minutes sounds like fine output. So I am not clear where these ideas that you aren't making enough is coming from? 1-2 oz per feeding is normal. She got more than one. Less than two.
    So by doubting your ability you are also damaging your supply. You know that right? Every time you supplement you are throwing off your demand ques to make milk. I also think that you are not pumping enough. So here's the thing, what you were experiencing was NORMAL breastfeeding behavior. So it means having your baby at your breast for 40 minute feedings. It means sitting on the couch all day. It means a baby that falls asleep after eating sometimes only after 10 minutes. All that, is normal. And you just feed. And feed and Feed. So you need to decide if you are up for that. Because there is nothing in there that suggest that you were doing anything wrong OR weren't making enough. But if you are supplementing 4 feeds a day with formula you certainly aren't currently. But that can still be rectified. Whether you rectify if through getting the baby back to the breast of Exclusive pumping is up to you. But exclusive pumping is at least twice the work. At least. Because you have to nurse the pump. And then feed the baby. And that is before we get into bottle cleaning, and milk storing and warming up the bottles.
    But obviously the pump won't need to learn how to nurse. Babies aren't all born knowing how to nurse. It's work. It takes practice. For both of you. So knowing that, that it was going normally for you, what would you like help doing? Just getting to be able to actually make enough milk to feed her breastmilk exclusively? Or to actually get her back to the breast?
    Last edited by @llli*djs.mom; February 2nd, 2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: aren't not are big difference

Way too lazy for formula