Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: freaking out a bit...supply dip at 8 months

Default freaking out a bit...supply dip at 8 months

Ok. I'm hoping someone has been through something similar and can help me out here. I've been on domperidone for about seven months (90 mg/day), and things have been going fine with breastfeeding (except for the occasional bumps in the road...which I've posted about here of course...oh and except for the fact that he wakes up ALL night EVERY night but from what I've seen here, that's not uncommon). Well, stupid me, I didn't order my pills in time and I've run out now and they still haven't arrived. I lost the original prescription, and I'm no longer in the same state as/being seen by the LC who prescribed it. I've been off it cold turkey now for four days, and I think I'm seeing a supply dip. LO has been fussier during the day and seems angrier during the last feed before bedtime. I think my boobs are smaller too? He refuses a bottle and has (I think) pretty severe food intolerances (FPIES, anyone?) so I'm worried that he's going to get angrier and angrier and strike and then where will we be? Oh, he generally poops once a day, and that hasn't changed yet, but I think maybe his diapers weren't as wet today (we CD)? Yikes. I'm really scared that I screwed everything up and this might lead to the end! Because of his food issues, I feel even more pressure to maintain the breastfeeding relationship for the long haul. If I could just get him to be patient for a few more days! Has anyone gone cold turkey off domperidone and maintained a full supply? Or do you have to build up to it after a dip? I feel like I get him to nurse and nurse and nurse sometimes but it never leads to an increase in supply. I know it's supply and demand, but do some people just make finite amounts of milk?

Default Re: freaking out a bit...supply dip at 8 months

bump!

sorry we missed this..
    has your period returned?

No, my period hasn't come back. I've been off the domperidone now for 5 days, and I've been nursing him every 1.5-2 hours during the day, hoping to build up supply. He's still acting pretty fussy during the day, and I definitely think his diapers were drier today. But at least he's still nursing? God, I hope I get those pills soon! My husband tried to give him a bottle from my frozen stash yesterday, and he wasn't having any of it. We haven't found any solid he can eat without vomiting so I really need breastfeeding to work and work well!

Do you have any symptoms that your period is coming? It is very common for a supply dip just before your period starts, and once it does everything typically goes back to normal.

Also, are you drinking enough water and getting enough to eat? Have you tried fenugreek? How about eating oatmeal?
    Robin

I have heard of a mama who was unable to maintain her supply off Dom once she started taking it. Not that they lost it, but they could not make as much when off the drug so they stayed in the drug until weaning. Can you get some motherlove more milk plus or something and take that until you get more dom? And maybe try cup or syringe feeding of the frozen milk?
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

My supply tanked immediately after going off domperidone. What about trying blessed thistle and fenugreek in the meantime?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Ok, still no domperidone. Trying to find fenugreek (where???) and eating oatmeal because it's clear he's not getting enough. And after screaming battles with bottle and cup, I don't know what to do! He won't or can't eat anything else, and mom is failing him right now. This sucks!

You can usually get fenugreek at the grocery store or health food store. Its pretty inexpensive too. Hang in there, hopefully that domperidone will get here quickly
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Here's an online source for fenugreek seed: http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Fenugr...6586019&sr=8-2

I personally recommend the seed as being fresher and far, far cheaper than the pills.