Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please Help!!!!

Default Please Help!!!!

My daughter is 15 days old and I'm beyond frustrated and overwhelmed. I have a couple of issues with breastfeeding ... so here goes. First and most frustrating is my belief that I don't have enough milk letdown, I never experienced engorgement or even the sensation of my milk coming in. I tried exclusively breastfeeding my daughter but as she became more frustrated so did I which led me to supplement with formula. I tried breastpumping to try and stimulate more milk production but I get as little as 10mL which in my mind only confirms my belief that I don't have enough milk which is why my daughter gets so frustrated. I'm also not sure if maybe the small amount of milk supply is due to breast augmentation surgery I had about 3 years ago (it was under the muscle through the aerola) or if I'm doing something wrong or is this normal? I'm still trying to breastfeed but it is becoming harder and harder now because my daughter is now becoming very fond of the ease of the bottle and is now refusing to latch on to my breast. Please help as I feel as if I'm slowly but surely failing at trying to breastfeed my daughter. Thank you in advance for your help .

Default Re: Please Help!!!!

First of all, you should be fine as far as your implants go. When I had mine done, I made it very clear to my surgeon that I still wanted to breastfeed in the future. He said that putting them under the muscle did less damage to the milk ducts, so I had them put under the muscle as well. I went on to nurse my second son for a little over two years with no problems with supply.

Now, what makes you think that your supply is low? How many wet diapers is your baby having in a 24 hour time period? Have you tried oatmeal, fenugreek, or Mother's Milk tea to help boost your supply a bit? Also, don't be alarmed if you don't get much milk when you pump. A baby is much better at getting milk than a pump is, so your baby is getting more milk than what you get with a pump.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Also...cut out the formula pronto! That will only make matters worse...trust me. Your body needs to get the signal to make more milk and that is not getting accomplished if you supplement with formula.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

What kind of pump do you have? I would make sure it's a good electric double pump - or maybe even a hospital grade pump. I used a Medela Pump in Style Advanced and it worked really well to get my milk supply up. Mother's Milk tea, like pp said, is also good. You will want to pump a lot if you are trying to get your supply built - but be warned, your body might start making too much milk (it thinks you are feeding a whole bunch of babies)! This happened to me.

Try to get off the formula, but if you HAVE to (you can't let a baby starve right?), use a bottle that is shaped like a breast and/or make sure the flow is SLOW. Try Dr Brown's preemie flow nipples or the breastflow bottle, you don't want them used to the instant rewards of a fast flow bottle. Also, always offer the breast before bottle and don't hold the bottle upright, try to keep it parallel with the floor, but keep milk in the nipple so they don't suck in air.

Finally, are you having problems with latch? Do you have sores on your nipples? Does your LO have tongue-tie? If you really think your surgery is the problem, you might want to see a lactation consultant - they can help you with any of these issues.

Most women can get their LO's back to the breast, it just takes some time and patience.

See http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html for more info, this site, along with LLLI, really helped me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MommyToAC View Post
    First of all, you should be fine as far as your implants go. When I had mine done, I made it very clear to my surgeon that I still wanted to breastfeed in the future. He said that putting them under the muscle did less damage to the milk ducts, so I had them put under the muscle as well. I went on to nurse my second son for a little over two years with no problems with supply.

Now, what makes you think that your supply is low? How many wet diapers is your baby having in a 24 hour time period? Have you tried oatmeal, fenugreek, or Mother's Milk tea to help boost your supply a bit? Also, don't be alarmed if you don't get much milk when you pump. A baby is much better at getting milk than a pump is, so your baby is getting more milk than what you get with a pump.
    I believe my milk supply is low because my daughter becomes very frustrated about 2 minutes into feeding and when I pump I only pump about 5 mL's and I don't have any full or warm feeling in my breasts, which some people report having. My daughter has enough wet diapers, but this is probably due to the fact that I supplement as well. I've tried Mother's Milk, but have not noticed a difference. Is there a proper way to ween her off formula so she doesn't starve? Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*fefe View Post
    What kind of pump do you have? I would make sure it's a good electric double pump - or maybe even a hospital grade pump. I used a Medela Pump in Style Advanced and it worked really well to get my milk supply up. Mother's Milk tea, like pp said, is also good. You will want to pump a lot if you are trying to get your supply built - but be warned, your body might start making too much milk (it thinks you are feeding a whole bunch of babies)! This happened to me.

Try to get off the formula, but if you HAVE to (you can't let a baby starve right?), use a bottle that is shaped like a breast and/or make sure the flow is SLOW. Try Dr Brown's preemie flow nipples or the breastflow bottle, you don't want them used to the instant rewards of a fast flow bottle. Also, always offer the breast before bottle and don't hold the bottle upright, try to keep it parallel with the floor, but keep milk in the nipple so they don't suck in air.

Finally, are you having problems with latch? Do you have sores on your nipples? Does your LO have tongue-tie? If you really think your surgery is the problem, you might want to see a lactation consultant - they can help you with any of these issues.

Most women can get their LO's back to the breast, it just takes some time and patience.

See http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html for more info, this site, along with LLLI, really helped me.
    I rented a hospital grade pump, Medela Symphony. How often do you believe I should pump to try and build up my milk supply? I don't have a problem with her latching my nipples were sore the first week but are doing good now. What is tongue-tie? Thank you so much for all the great tips, I truly appreciate it.

You might want to check out this link: http://bfar.org/ Breast augmentation can affect milk production, and as far as I know augmentations that involve severing tissues in the nipple area are the most likely to cause problems.

Some more useful links:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ilovesash View Post
    I rented a hospital grade pump, Medela Symphony. How often do you believe I should pump to try and build up my milk supply? I don't have a problem with her latching my nipples were sore the first week but are doing good now. What is tongue-tie? Thank you so much for all the great tips, I truly appreciate it.
    From what I know, that pump is one of the best. I was told to pump every 3 hours, both breasts at the same time. Invest in a hands-free pumping bra if you haven't already. I'm sure if you do it too much, you will get pretty sore. Try to feed her first, then pump.

Try to feed as often as you can, also do a lot of skin to skin contact to encourage them back to the breast. Try a baby wrap or sling like pp said, I love mine and so does the LO!

Tongue-tie is where the frenulum (that tissue connecting the underside of the tongue to the bottom of your mouth) is shortened. A tongue-tied baby cannot get the milk out effectively due to this tongue defect, however it is very easy and relatively painless to correct by a trip to the pediatrician. However, most women find they have sores on their nipples when their babies have this condition. I figured it was worth mentioning.

Here is some more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankyloglossia and http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...tonguetie.html

I am really not familiar with breast augmentation and breastfeeding. Maybe you just have to work harder to get your milk supply up. Sorry