Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: growth spurt AND STTN, my boobs are so confused!?!?

Default growth spurt AND STTN, my boobs are so confused!?!?

My LO seems to have reached her 6 week growth spurt - for the past 3 days she is eating NONSTOP during the day. I'm fine with that, I actually enjoy having all the quality time with her - even if it annoys my in-laws My issue is that she has also started sleeping for a 5-6 hour stretch at night. Who'd have thought that I'd have an issue with too much sleep from a newborn!!!

It truly seems to be one extreme or the other - during the day, she'll take one side for 25-30 minutes, fall asleep on the breast for about 5 minutes and then wake up and take the other side for 15-20 minutes. She'll doze off for 10-15 minutes after. She's repeating this pattern every 1-1 1/2 hours from 8a-930p and in the evenings she seems really frustrated, like she's starving right after she's done. She'll fall asleep ~930. She'll nurse again around midnight and then sleeps until ~530a!!! By that time, my boobs are FULL and she'll only nurse on one side and falls asleep within 10-15 minutes, even though it doesn't feel empty and the other side is painfully aware that DD hasn't touched it in a few hours

This is taking a toll on me and making me question myself. Should I be waking her at night to feed her? Will my supply ever be "regulated"? Should I pump in the middle of the night? I've been offering each boob twice in a row and then switching (so it's the second boob from one feeding and then the first for the next) but with her nursing so frequently, should I just be alternating? Should I be block feeding or would that actually compound the problem by cutting my supply back? I'm so confused...DH will offer advice but what does he know? Not like this is anything that he's done before Of course, as soon as I think that, I feel like a major witch because he truly is so supportive and wonderful with both our girls.

It seems like this was so much easier with DD1 - although that could be through the same memory glasses that say labor wasn't so bad

Thank you to anyone who has taken the time to read this...the forums are such a wonderful outlet for my frustrations and I appreciate that as much as I appreciate any and all advice the wonderful moms on here have to offer!
    I'm Wendy.
    wife to Chris (2005), mama to Maggie (2/2009) and Samantha (12/2010)

Default Re: growth spurt AND STTN, my boobs are so confused!?!?

I just wanted to let you know I read it! I don't have any advice though ) I'm having the same STTN issue except I already am block feeding so if I don't wake her in the middle of the night (I've been getting her up at 5a), one side is looking at 12 hours of no stimulation and the thought gives me nightmares lol! Good luck!

I think by 6 weeks you can let her sleep for 5-6 hrs and call it good. I wouldn't wake her up, and I wouldnt pump; eventually your body will adjust to her routine, and you'll make the right amount of milk at the right time.

I'd continue to offer both breasts unless you think you have a foremilk imbalance. Alternate which one you offer first, whether she took one or two the session before.

I remember wearing a tight sports bra under two nursing tanks to bed the first time my son started sleeping longer at night, just so I wouldn't have to change the sheets every morning.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thank you so much! These forums, the ladies on here, the wonderful support and advice seem to be the only thing keeping me sane!!! I'm so glad to have a lifeline that gives me the strength and determination to keep nursing
    I'm Wendy.
    wife to Chris (2005), mama to Maggie (2/2009) and Samantha (12/2010)

I would just pump the full side first thing in the morning. In fact at 5weeks when my son started sleeping for 5hour stretches that is what I did. He would do it at night and then also take a 4-5 hour nap during the day. So I would pump to avoid engorgement AND I used those bottles for freedom. The one I would pump in the morning my husband would feed at night. It coincided with a 2hour break I got from the baby every night after dinner. I thought 22hours a day was certainly enough "ON" time. If I needed to pump more than that I would freeze the rest of it. So usually there was fresh milk for a night feed. AND sometimes like on the weekend he would use those bottles to feed so I could do something like get completely dressed and ready to go in under an hour. Which never happens if you have to stop and nurse.

Way too lazy for formula