Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 month old refusing solids

Default 9 month old refusing solids

My 9 month old has been refusing solids for the past few weeks. On many days she just has a taste.

She has 3 teeth that are coming in (slowly!), so I'm wondering if that may be why she's refusing. We started her on purees at 6 months old.

She still breastfeeds lots (she was 21 lbs at her last appointment!) so I'm not concerned there.

But I'm worried that she's "falling behind" with solids. I've just started offering her some mashed foods instead of purees, and the time or two she does get a bit into her, she gags and then doesn't want to eat any more.

Should I bet worried? I know up until 1 solids are just for experience, but I feel like we're stuck on purees and that that's a bad thing.
    First time mommy to little Charlotte Rose, born April 16th, 2010.

Default Re: 9 month old refusing solids

It could be the teeth, but lots of LOs just don't like purees. My DD would just run her hands through them and look at me like, "what is this crap??" She didn't eat much in the way of anything until 15 months, and she's perfectly healthy in every way. We started solids at 7 months and started mostly by giving her little bits of what we were eating (obviously dairy and nuts, etc. withheld). When she finally did starting eating, she loved things you'd think a baby wouldn't - like homemade pizza, tofu, beans, and rice. Some folks say that children with potential allergy problems will naturally try to hold off on solids for as long as possible. I don't have experience with that, but it sounds logical.

Don't worry. At 9 months, many kids are just getting started with solids. As long as they're nursing enough, a taste of solids is really all they need. (Arguably, a dropper of baby vitamins is a good idea, too. Vitamin D drops, if nothing else.) I know that can be hard to believe when you see what other people's kids are eating, but there's a really wide variation in how much solid food an individual baby is ready for. So you want to look at your kid first, and other people's kids second, or not at all. If your kid is healthy, happy, and gaining weight, there's no reason to worry.

I think you're on the right track with offering the mashed foods and letting your LO experiment with them. Eventually she'll get used to a lumpier consistency, and the gagging will stop. Until then, I think you should be pleased that she's experimenting with lumpy stuff.

Are you allowing her to self-feed, or are you spoon-feeding her? If the latter, I encourage you to try the former.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Don't worry. At 9 months, many kids are just getting started with solids. As long as they're nursing enough, a taste of solids is really all they need. (Arguably, a dropper of baby vitamins is a good idea, too. Vitamin D drops, if nothing else.) I know that can be hard to believe when you see what other people's kids are eating, but there's a really wide variation in how much solid food an individual baby is ready for. So you want to look at your kid first, and other people's kids second, or not at all. If your kid is healthy, happy, and gaining weight, there's no reason to worry.

I think you're on the right track with offering the mashed foods and letting your LO experiment with them. Eventually she'll get used to a lumpier consistency, and the gagging will stop. Until then, I think you should be pleased that she's experimenting with lumpy stuff.

Are you allowing her to self-feed, or are you spoon-feeding her? If the latter, I encourage you to try the former.

I know with DD2 her interest ebbs and flows. When she is teething she pretty much refuses to eat but nurses a TON! At 9 months i don't think you need to worry about how much solids are making it in.
    We and doing lots of for that cute
    Made it 1 year with no end in sight!
    And still enjoy lots of
    DD 1 Miss M 3 years
    DD 2 Miss H 1 year