Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: trouble with output

Default trouble with output

A little background on me. I am nursing 9 month old twin boys and have supply problems from the beginning. I have always had to supplement with some formula.
    I have returned to work full time and pump 3 times per day while at work. I only get about 10-12 ozs in those 3 sessions. Not enough to feed two growing boys. Lately I have felt as though the pump I am using is not emptying me the way it needs to. I use a medela pump in style advanced. Would renting a hospital grade pump be something I might need to look in to? I have never mastered the art of hand expression so using that on top of pumping just doesnt seem to work.

Default Re: trouble with output

A hospital grade pump should provide better output across the board, but before going there I would trouble-shoot the pump: tubes/connections, flange size (your nipples can change size as your babies get bigger), the little white membrane thingies, etc. Call Medela, they are quite helpful.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

with the previous poster

Good job giving your boys mama milk!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I loved the hosp grade pump, I felt TOTALLY empty when I used it.

good luck!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK