Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medela Lactina vs Symphony

Default Medela Lactina vs Symphony

I'm thinking about renting a hospital grade pump as my son is having latch issues (possibly a nursing strike?) and I need to rebuild my milk supply. I was wondering if the Lactina and Symphony are comparable. I liked the Symphony when I pumped twice in the hospital, but the rentals seem more expensive. I'd be willing to pay if it is considerably better though. Right now I pump 6 oz with my overworked PISA. I definitely want a Medela one since I already have the parts to that.

What do you guys think? Thank you so so so much

Default Re: Medela Lactina vs Symphony

They are both really good pumps. The Symphony is sleeker than the lactina, which may be easier for you to transport if you are working. If you are just looking to build back your milk supply, I personally would not necessarily choose the pricier one, as they are both hospital grade. (depending on the price difference, and amount of time needed) They claim the Symphony has the "2 phase expression", which has a faster let down, and removes more milk.

How old is your L/O? Have you met with an LC to determine cause of nursing strike and correct latch issues?

A well latched baby will remove more milk than a pump ever will, and will build your supply back up, given opportunity to nurse as often as needed. I would really meet with an LC before getting into pump rental, as it may not be necessary....

Just an FYI, the Lactina has stronger suction than the Symphony.

The Symphony vacuum suction is rated the same as the Freestyle and the PIS, but the Lactina is rated at a stronger vacuum.

And there are two types of Lactina pumps, the Plus and the Select. The Select has variable suction to mimic letdown, the Plus does not.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I've used both and prefer the Lactina by far! The reason I prefer it to the Symphony is that you set the speed and suction strength. The Symphony is more like the PIS with its two settings. I found that the Lactina was much more effective for me. Hope that helps!

This is surprising, as I was almost set to pick the Symphony as it is computerized. I will see. . .luckily the rental is covered under my insurance, though that info would have been useful months ago. .

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*javabee View Post
    How old is your L/O? Have you met with an LC to determine cause of nursing strike and correct latch issues?
    Hi! Thanks for the responses. My son is 11 weeks and we were doing well (very little supplementing) before we moved to Chicago, but afterwards he did not nurse well and I struggled with getting him to the breast. I feel very guilty and depressed that I let that happen. We met with an LC and she did say that was a possibility, but that was two weeks ago. I can't afford to see another LC. I just want to do everything I can because I'm only making 6 oz a day and my PISA doesnt seem to be cutting it as I can't pump more than 8-10 times a day.

Theres more info on my other thread-http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=98118, I just made this one because it was a specific question.

Thank you everyone so much, if I didn't have all this great info I would have had to give up long ago.