Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Overweight?

Default Overweight?

HI. How much does your breastfed baby weigh? My 6 1/2 month old weighs about 20 lbs (26 1/2 in long). Doc said she is techniqually overweight but not a bad thing since she was exclusively breast fed. I have since started solids, cereal and baby veggies...i'm worried, should I be??

Default Re: Overweight?

My 6.5 month old is also 20 lbs and 28 in long. Our ped says he's just fine! We started solids just shy of his 6 mo birthday and can't say that the few spoonfuls he gets daily has contributed to any of his weight. I still pretty much consider him EBF.

I wouldn't worry!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

It's common for babies to get chubby at that age. he'll likely lose weight when he starts to crawl.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Hi there,
    I am sorry that your ped. is making you feel that dd is "overweight". Of course, if you are allowing dd to nurse on cue then you can be assured that she is growing at the right rate for her. Babies and growth are all so individual that you will find healthy BF babies who are big and some who are petite. Regular, steady grow is key.

I have seen many larger babies lean out as they begin to move around more. I think some just pack it on in advance...since they often get so busy in the second 6 months of life!

I hope that you will continue to ask questions and feel comfortable knowing that we have all BTDT (first baby-lots of questions) and NO question is too trivial!

If you need ideas for dialoguing with your Ped. please let us know. We can help you in that category!

Hang in there mom-you are doing a GREAT job!
    Last edited by LLLKate; October 24th, 2006 at 04:26 PM. Reason: mistype

Mom & Teacher--If your 6 month old is overweight, I'm in deep trouble in 2 weeks. My daughter will be 4 months, and when I weighed her last, at 3 months she weighed in at a whopping 16 pounds. My doctore would never tell me my baby was overweight, and if he did--he would most definitely get an EARFUL from me!!!!!

Don't worry about your LO--she will almost definitely slow her weight gain once she becomes mobile. My 2 year old was 29 pounds at 1 year, and at 28 months he is 34 pounds--the weight will stabilize once she becomes mobile!

Krista
    Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed
    Mommy to Ada Grace (7-7-06) 7 lbs 14 oz, 20 lbs 14 oz at 1 year

Our little Angel, Henry James, grew his wings December 14, 2007

Welcome to the chubby baby club! My darling daughter is in the 95th plus percentile for weight and we couldn't be prouder. Our pediatrician told us that breastfed babies can't get "overweight" on breast milk. She also said (but I don't know the evidence for this) they don't gain any new fat cells, but the ones that they do have just get bigger.

Imagine, your child growing so big and healthy from just your milk! Amazing! Enjoy every moment (and remember to "lift with your LEGS"!)

-Colleen

My baby is only 4 months and is almost 19 pounds and is 26 in. so i think your baby is doing good. My ped said my daughter was well poportioned at that size so i wouldn't worry to much about it. If they ar a lil chunky they will most likely lose it when they start to move more.