Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: using freezer stash?

Default using freezer stash?

I have been exclusively pumping for 6 months and have had an oversupply that I have been freezing. It was my understanding that this milk would last in a chest freezer for 12 months, and my hope was to eventually have enough milk stashed away that I could quit pumping as it is very painful for me. Now that I am about to start rotating this stash, I have read information from LLL that seems to indicate that the older milk might not be good for my son because it was pumped when he was younger? The oldest milk in my freezer was pumped 4 months ago. Is it ok to feed to him?

Default Re: using freezer stash?

oh yeah its ok to feed him just use the oldest milk 1st...

I too had oversupply, resulting in a big freezer stash. I gave my son one frozen and two to three fresh bottles each day so the "old" milk wouldn't get too old. Sometimes I had to give two frozens if I got too far ahead of myself.

What I've heard of some people doing is giving fresh milk Tuesday through Friday, freezing the milk they pump Friday, and giving the oldest frozen milk on Monday.

And it's not that the milk is "bad", it's just that the milk you produce today is designed for your infant today; his/her needs as far as fat content, antibodies, etc change as he/she gets older.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    And it's not that the milk is "bad", it's just that the milk you produce today is designed for your infant today; his/her needs as far as fat content, antibodies, etc change as he/she gets older.
    It's not like the old milk is so different that it's unhealthful. It's just not quite as perfect as the milk you pump today.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's still good.

Perhaps what you read was that fresh is best, as PP said.
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

thank you, I guess that was my question: is it just that "fresh is best" and older is not ideal, or is the older stuff not "good enough" nutritionally? I will start to give 1-2 bottles of frozen each day to get rid of some of the older milk.

The older stuff is fine. Don't stress it. DD is getting frozen milk at dcp tomorrow from August.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

my son is 8 weeks and i have over 1 month worth of a frozen stash and i am now starting to give him some so it isnt that much different from my fresh pumps.. i will freeze some fresh and also give him some fresh. just mixing it up to stay on top and not have too much old milk.