Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Afraid to let her sleep and skip pumping

Default Afraid to let her sleep and skip pumping

It's me again! I feel like I post a lot of questions. Sorry if this doesn't make sense or is over complicated. I just dont want to mess with my supply!
    I have a healthy 8 week old. Our normal nightly routine is to nurse at 11p and then she goes back down until I wake her at 5a. One time she slept until 6a and I went and woke her. I nurse one side at a time so if I nurse on my R side at 8:30p lets say, L at 11 (before work, and I will get to that), R at 5am, L at 8:30a when I get home. So thats roughly 9 hours of no nursing for each side. I work in a man's home (I sit with ppl who are MR/DD) and I'm terrified that he will wake up to me pumping. Scared so much that it often hinders my letdown and nothing comes out anyway. But, I don't want to screw up my supply by not doing it. So I'm thinking this....

A) pump whatever side isnt nursed before I leave, and pump whatever side isn't nursed when I return home in the morning. That will make roughly 9 hours for both breasts.
    A1) would I pump the other side before bed on the nights im home as well.

B) just continue as is, but don't wake DD up or pump, potentially not stimulating for 12 hours? (R at 8p, L at 11p, R at 8:30a, L at 11)

I guess I should DD sleep at night. I just feel like what I do on my nights home i should do the same at work so my body doesnt get confused. I would like to just not pump at all my two nights that I work but I'm afraid that would be bad. I just really hate pumping at work. But I will find a way even if i have to lock myself in the bathroom.

Default Re: Afraid to let her sleep and skip pumping

I'd say try to avoid going 12 hours wo pumping. Especially at this young age. Do you have a cover for when you are pumping? Just in case. Not sure that would help but just thinking.
    Or just a 10 minute bathroom pumping session to relieve the pressure anyways.
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*angelpeach838 View Post
    It's me again! I feel like I post a lot of questions. Sorry if this doesn't make sense or is over complicated. I just dont want to mess with my supply!
    I have a healthy 8 week old. Our normal nightly routine is to nurse at 11p and then she goes back down until I wake her at 5a. One time she slept until 6a and I went and woke her. I nurse one side at a time so if I nurse on my R side at 8:30p lets say, L at 11 (before work, and I will get to that), R at 5am, L at 8:30a when I get home. So thats roughly 9 hours of no nursing for each side. I work in a man's home (I sit with ppl who are MR/DD) and I'm terrified that he will wake up to me pumping. Scared so much that it often hinders my letdown and nothing comes out anyway. But, I don't want to screw up my supply by not doing it. So I'm thinking this....

A) pump whatever side isnt nursed before I leave, and pump whatever side isn't nursed when I return home in the morning. That will make roughly 9 hours for both breasts.
    A1) would I pump the other side before bed on the nights im home as well.

B) just continue as is, but don't wake DD up or pump, potentially not stimulating for 12 hours? (R at 8p, L at 11p, R at 8:30a, L at 11)

I guess I should DD sleep at night. I just feel like what I do on my nights home i should do the same at work so my body doesnt get confused. I would like to just not pump at all my two nights that I work but I'm afraid that would be bad. I just really hate pumping at work. But I will find a way even if i have to lock myself in the bathroom.
    i wouldn't go that long without pumping/nursing. EVERYONE hates pumping at work. NOT fun. My LO is a year and I am still pumping though - you just gotta do it to keep your supply up, otherwise you're going to find yourself not having enough milk, which stinks.

IF my Lo ever slept through the night, I would pump. He didn't do it very often (and still doesn't at 13mo!), but if you're nursing at 11p then I would pump the other side afterward and then pump both around 3am. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but you're still early to be skipping sessions.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Can you pump the other side while she nurses, and what time does sh initially go down for the night? You say she goes BACK down at 11p? If she goes down earlier can you pump st like 930? I always used a nursing cover when I pumped just in case. Hoe about pumping in the car on the way to work?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language