Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: APNO

Default APNO

I've been reading about APNO and I ask my OB to give me a prescription unfortunately he did not know what it is and I could not find a compounding pharmacy in our area so he just gave me a prescription of each of the components. Can I just mix all them by myself? Does it work?

Default Re: APNO

I'm not sure about mixing them all together yourself. Can you try to contact a LLL leader or lactation consultant in your area? They would probably know where you can find a compounding pharmacy. Or you can call any other pharmacy and ask if they know of one. I had no idea we had one in my area but my LC was able to tell me where to take the prescription - it was a small, independent, out-of-the-way place I wouldn't have found on my own.

The APNO worked like a charm - I don't think we would have made it through our issues without it.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Yes - you can definitely mix them on your own. There was not a compounding pharmacy that was easy for me to get to, and my doc gave me the OK to mix it myself. The pharmacist gave me a sterile tub to mix it all together in and store it in, and one tip she told me that helped was instead of squeezing each tube like a tube of toothpaste, just cut the opposite end of the tube off and squeeze it out that way - worked much more efficiently!

I'm not sure what happens if the pharmacy compounds it for you, but I noticed it will get clumpy if I don't stir it every couple of days - and I always make sure I use a sterile spoon to do so. (I just boil the tip of the spoon for a minute).

Happy Mixing

The powder is not available so I'm using Nystatin ointment instead. Is it the same amount of each of the 3 components? I think I'll just mix them each time I use it. And there's no need to wash it off before feeding right?

The pharmacist had told me it's not a good idea to mix it each time - because I asked the same thing. She said you will get the best results by compounding it all together and then using it each time you need it. My APNO had 4 ingredients (they included a pain reliever too) but they were all creams, no powders.

Good luck

Does it sting when u use it? I'm on my second day of using it, how long before I can feel the difference?

I never felt any actual stinging when I used it, although sometimes the coolness of it would catch me off guard. It took me a few days to see a difference. One thing I read after I had been globbing it on is that it is more effective if you just put a thin layer on.

I hope you feel better soon.

Question Re: APNO

Hi those who have made up the cream themselves how much of the miconazole powder did you add? Dr. Newman says the final concentration should be 2%miconazole so if the bottle I have has 20grammes and each gram contains 2% then I add 1gram,am I right? The pharmacist wasn't sure as it's not clear and I'm confused. Also nipples sore and cracked from thrush (latching is correct) so my brain is a bit addled!! Please HELP