Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: extreme amount of spit up

Default extreme amount of spit up

My baby is almost 6 weeks and I am EBF. It has been going really well too! She spits up a little every time she eats, except for the middle of the night feedings. Every once in a while she'll have a LOT of spit up. But tonight it was more than I've ever seen. It covered the bathroom floor (I was about to give her a bath). About 45 minutes prior, she nursed for quite a while. Usually, she nurses on one breast for about 10-15 minutes and she's full, but sometimes at night she'll want both breasts and nurse for much longer, so I let her. DH said I shouldn't have let her eat so much tonight since it obviously made her sick. I shouldn't stop her from nursing a lot though, should I??

Default Re: extreme amount of spit up

My LO is 8 weeks old and we had the same problem starting last week. He has always spit up more than usually but after two days of a few projecting across the room I took him to the Dr. They did an ultrasound on his tummy to rule out ???? forgot what it's called. Something with a part of his tummy closing up. She said is was just really bad reflux. She gave me a prescription for reglan and tagamet and an over the counter antacid. I didn't feel comfortable giving him reglan and the tagamet seems to be working great but still a little worried about giving him that. What are other peoples thoughts on tagamet???? I know a lot of people on the forum give their babies zantac for reflux too. It would probably be good to talk to your LO's Dr.

I would say definitely let her nurse when she needs too. Spit up isn't usually a result of overeating...For example, maybe she swallowed a lot of air right before and then that caused her to spit up. As long as she doesn't seem upset and nothing else has changed, I think spit up is inevitable sometimes.

My LO, now 13 weeks, spits up A LOT : after feedings, before feedings, during feedings - it's unpredictable... and he has since he was about 2 weeks old. My mom said I was the same way. I don't let anyone hold him without a fair warning and a receiving blanket to cover their clothes. A burp cloth doesn't cut it with him. He is a happy spitter - he never is bothered by the act of spitting up, and I'm always amazed at the sheer amount that comes out. Sometimes my LO will spit up a ton after a feeding, want to nurse more, and then not spit up again for hours.

One thing my pediatrician told me to put it in perspective is to take a tablespoon of water and throw it on the floor and see how much more it seems like when it's strew about. He also reminded me that it's not usually straight milk that comes up - it's mixed with saliva and digestive juices - so although it might seem like baby just spit up an entire meal, it's usually a lot less than it appears.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much and trust your mommy instincts.

Spitting up a lot like that can be annoying, but is not usually a sign of a problem. If your LO seems generally happy and not upset when spitting up I wouldn't worry. It's a laundry problem more than anything. DS1 spit up a lot every day his first few months, but he was perfectly happy and gaining fine, plenty of wet diapers. He would sometimes soak himself and the person holding him completely. DS2 on the other hand didn't spit up as much but had very painful reflux and he would swallow it back down instead. Unless there are other troubling symptoms, it's not a big deal. If your LO starts spitting up a VERY large amount after every feeding it would be a concern, but otherwise most likely not.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Pyloric stenosis is what your pedi was looking for with that ultrasound; I'd worry about that only it the puking were to keep recurring, esp immediately after feeding, and if assoc with retching.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thanks everyone. She's a happy spitter. I did talk to her dr a few weeks ago about this and he said not to worry. DH just made me doubt myself last night about it! I think I needed to hear that spit up is not a result of overeating. ( :