Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ciprofloxacin and Breastfeeding 10 -month old

Default Ciprofloxacin and Breastfeeding 10 -month old

Hello llladies!

I am in the middle of the worst bout on lung/sinus/and eye infection of my life. Just been put on ciprofloxacin (after five days of Cefalexin not working). I was basically told that the Dr.'s reference said that while not enough goes through to the breastmilk to be harmful to an infant, it is still not recommended to nursing mothers....

Unfortunately I am allergic to penicillin and other breastfeeding friendly antibiotics. Has anyone taken cipro here and did you feel comfortable doing so? Is the warning just basically the drug company covering their butts?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
    I'm Terri, a Canadian living in England.

Married my soul mate in September, 2008 and share the same wedding anniversary as my parents and grandparents.

Mommy to S born 19/03/2010 and to Z 01/11/2011

We always, and we love as much as possible.

"When you're moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star" - Stevie Wonder, Jammin'

Default Re: Ciprofloxacin and Breastfeeding 10 -month old

This is the info from LactMed on Cipro

Ciprofloxacin
    CASRN: 85721-33-1

For other data, click on the Table of Contents

Drug Levels and Effects:

Summary of Use during Lactation:
    Fluoroquinolones have traditionally not been used in infants because of concern about adverse effects on the infants' developing joints. However, recent studies indicate little risk.[1][2] The calcium in milk might prevent absorption of the small amounts of fluoroquinolones in milk,[3] but insufficient data exist to prove or disprove this assertion. Short-term use of moxifloxacin is acceptable in nursing mothers. However, it is preferable to use an alternate drug for which safety information is available.

Maternal use of an eye drop that contains ciprofloxacin presents negligible risk for the nursing infant. To substantially diminish the amount of drug that reaches the breastmilk after using eye drops, place pressure over the tear duct by the corner of the eye for 1 minute or more, then remove the excess solution with an absorbent tissue.

Drug Levels:
    Ten lactating women (time postpartum not stated) were given ciprofloxacin 750 mg orally every 12 hours for 3 doses. Milk ciprofloxacin was measured after the third dose. The highest levels averaging 3.79 mg/L occurred 2 hours after the dose. Average milk levels then fell as follows: 2.26 mg/L at 4 hours; 0.86 mg/L at 6 hours, 0.51 mg/L at 9 hours; 0.2 mg/L at 12 hours; and 0.02 mg/L at 24 hours after the dose.[7] Using the peak milk level data from this study, an exclusively breastfed infant would receive an estimated maximum of 0.57 mg/kg daily with this maternal dosage regimen. This dosage is much lower than the 10 to 40 mg/kg daily used in treating newborn infants.[1][2][3][4]

One mother who was recovering from acute renal failure was given a single dose of ciprofloxacin 500 mg orally with a prenatal vitamin and ferrous sulfate which would be expected to decrease ciprofloxacin bioavailability. Milk levels were 3.5 mg/L at 4, 8 and 12 hours after the dose and 2.3 mg/L 16 hours after the dose.[8] Levels were probably elevated and elimination prolonged by the woman's impaired renal function.

A woman took ciprofloxacin 500 mg daily orally for 10 days. At 10 hours and 40 minutes after the last dose, ciprofloxacin was 0.98 mg/L in breastmilk.[9]

Infant Levels. A woman took ciprofloxacin 500 mg daily orally for 10 days. Her infant, who breastfed once 8 hours after the dose, had no detectable ciprofloxacin (<30 mcg/L) in her serum 2.7 hours after nursing.[9]

Effects in Breastfed Infants:
    A case of pseudomembranous colitis in a 2-month-old breastfed infant with a history of necrotizing enterocolitis was probably caused by maternal self-treatment with ciprofloxacin.[10]

Ciprofloxacin was used as part of multi-drug regimens to treat three pregnant women with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis throughout pregnancy and postpartum. Their three infants were breastfed (extent and duration not stated). At age 1.25, 1.8 and 3.9 years, the children were developing normally except for one who had failure to thrive, possibly due to tuberculosis contracted after birth.[11]

Possible Effects on Lactation:
    Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.

Alternate Drugs to Consider:
    (Urinary tract infections) Levofloxacin, Nitrofurantoin, Norfloxacin, Trimethoprim
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

You can also check Dr Thomas Hale's forums at infantrisk.org or his book is online on amazon, Medications and Mother's Milk.

You could also email Dr Jack Newman for his advice. He is super quick about returning emails.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Ciprofloxacin is approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics for use by breastfeeding mothers. But to be sure, I'd suggest calling the InfantRisk Center (806-352-2519, M-F from 8-5pm CST) and discussing with them what dose you're taking and when. They should be able to give you more specific information.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

mama. I was ciprofloxacin for 6wks (before DD) and that is rough. Anyway, just throwing my 2-cents out there, but have you tried putting breastmilk in your eyes and nasal cavity BM is some very good, powerful, stuff...a "cure-almost-all".
    Hope you recover soon.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Nolies mama... thank you for all that info! I found it really helpful. I keep telling myself that I should get a copy of Medications and Mothers Milk, but always forget about it until I'm in the middle of contemplating taking a prescription.

Juliet1.. it's funny, I never thought of actually doing that, though now that you mention it, I think it makes perfect sense, particularly for the eye infection. I'm going to have to remember that if this happens again, though I'm hoping big time it doesn't!

The good news is, I'm starting to feel a bit better, and compared to how I was feeling, that's a big improvement!

Thanks so much for the replies llladies. It's very much appreciated!
    I'm Terri, a Canadian living in England.

Married my soul mate in September, 2008 and share the same wedding anniversary as my parents and grandparents.

Mommy to S born 19/03/2010 and to Z 01/11/2011

We always, and we love as much as possible.

"When you're moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star" - Stevie Wonder, Jammin'

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sadiesmum View Post
    Juliet1.. it's funny, I never thought of actually doing that, though now that you mention it, I think it makes perfect sense, particularly for the eye infection. I'm going to have to remember that if this happens again, though I'm hoping big time it doesn't!
    I keep forgetting we have 'good medicine' under our noses, too I've even put breastmilk on mosquito bites...works like a charm I've also put it in DD's eyes when they've been itchy from seasonal allergies, and her nose during a cold or allergies too. I figured, if it works for them it must work for us, right
    Like you said, hopefully it won't happen again.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...