Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how old was your LO when they started using a spoon with any success?

Default how old was your LO when they started using a spoon with any success?

How old, ladies? I can't remember how old the girls were and I'm thinking of starting Will because he doesn't like to be spoon fed anymore.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

Default Re: how old was your LO when they started using a spoon with any success?

Maybe 14 months however he still will hold if fork and eat with the fingers in his other hand
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Default Re: how old was your LO when they started using a spoon with any success?

My 25 month old nephew gets the concept... but doesn't do it correctly. He scoops the food on to his fork, then moves both hands to his mouth. Meanwhile, the food is really in his hand, leaning on the fork. It's so cute!
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

At 21 months, Joe can use a spoon correctly if he feels like it, but often he doesn't.

He hates being spoon fed, so I stopped that ages ago. If he wants to eat yogurt with his face, okay. I prefer it when he uses a spoon, but that's not that neat either.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Between 14 and 15 months. But we did BLS solids. So no purees. He was never spoon fed by me. He ate with his hands, and then wanted to mimic us so learned to use his sliverware an now at 5 really would rather use hi hands....but since we know he KNOWS how to use silverware, we sort of insist on it.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Between 14 and 15 months. But we did BLS solids. So no purees. He was never spoon fed by me. He ate with his hands, and then wanted to mimic us so learned to use his sliverware an now at 5 really would rather use hi hands....but since we know he KNOWS how to use silverware, we sort of insist on it.
    Pretty much the same here.

DS2 has always been self-fed. He is now almost 17 mo and has been using a spoon well (with some mess) for a couple of months. He absolutely refuses to let us help.

We also gave him a real fork (salad fork) with nice real sharp tines and he loves to use it to pick up and eat food. Even things like a piece of bread. Things like long pasta we'll spin the pasta for him then hand him a "loaded" fork.

4.5 yo had reverted to eating with his hands. We've been insisting that he needs to use his silverware and he's been doing a great job.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

About 10 months they could both eat a bowl of yogurt or applesauce very well with a spoon. I always put a spoon on their tray right from the beginning and they eventually picked it up and used it. DS1 could eat an entire meal with a spoon or fork very well before he was 1. DS2 still tends to hold the spoon in one hand and shove food in his mouth with his free hand.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

DD is likes to use a spoon, but hasn't really mastered it. She is 15 months and working on it.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

DS2 has not been spoon fed very much. I won't say never because there have been the random occasion where we feed him a bit of yogurt on a spoon. We always give him a spoon with his meals and he does try to use it on every kind of food we give him whether it is appropriate or not. I would say he has minimal success with it at 15 months. I recall DS1 was using one a bit earlier, maybe he had it down pretty well at this time.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*littleiandjmomma View Post
    About 10 months they could both eat a bowl of yogurt or applesauce very well with a spoon. I always put a spoon on their tray right from the beginning and they eventually picked it up and used it. DS1 could eat an entire meal with a spoon or fork very well before he was 1. DS2 still tends to hold the spoon in one hand and shove food in his mouth with his free hand.
    Wow, that's really good. I think I will get a little silverware set and start giving to to him to see what happens. The thing is, his DC teacher insists that he lets her feed him no problem and I have seen it. At snack time, she sits in the middle and feeds all the babies bites one at a time. It is so cute.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting