Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I not having let-downs?

Unhappy Am I not having let-downs?

Hi,

I have been noticing lately that when my 5 month old baby is nursing on my breast I don't feel a let-down most times. I had heard that as time passes this would be the case. But when I am pumping, I most definitely feel the let-downs without a doubt. And I thought that the let-downs for baby should be stronger than for the ugly pumping machine.

So this is making me wonder - am I not having let-downs for my baby? Is something wrong with me or how I latch on the baby? Or is she just not interested in eliciting any let-downs from me? Every now and then when I check, she does seem to have milk in her mouth, but wondering how much she gets and how hard she has to work for it. I am also bottlefeeding her when I go to work, so wondering if she has just grown more interested in the bottle.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Vidhya

Default Re: Am I not having let-downs?

As long as your LO is having enough wet/poopy diapers/day and is gaining well then, rest assured, you are "letting down". She wouldn't be getting any milk otherwise. Does she seem frustrated at the breast? How often do you BF on the days that you work? Are you nursing exclusively on weekends?

I am one of those people who can feel a stronger let down with the pump that when nursing. Many women don't feel thier let down at all. If you are not feeling yours I wouldn't worry as long as your LO seems content after nursing.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Default Re: Am I not having let-downs?

She doesn't seem to complain after nursing. In fact, most times she's the one who pushes off and if I make her go back she gets all fussy. She gets quite a few wet diapers a day and stuff, but she is gaining weight very slowly. She was a small baby to begin with and she continues to be small. She's very tall for her weight and my husband seems very worried about that.