Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I switch to breastmilk bottles?

Default Should I switch to breastmilk bottles?

Hi,

My 5 month old baby gets breastmilk bottles when I go to work everyday and she has improved a lot in the past few weeks to go from under 10 oz between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 13-16 oz in that same time period. On the weekends I nurse her, unless we go out in the car somewhere in which case I carry a couple of bottles. And I pump during the weekends as well.

What I am noticing is that she doesn't seem to feed as well at the breast. Sometimes she latches on and drinks for a while. Other times she is not as focussed, latching on and off, turning away to look at random distractions, or going to sleep. And I seem to be able to to pump a good amount of milk over the weekends, which makes me feel like maybe she is not drinking as much as I would pump during the weekdays.

I also nurse her in the evenings and she does similar things. I try to keep nursing her frequently, but she really has a mind of her own now and does what she pleases , which seems to be to not eat enough. Then she wakes up several times a night (I'm getting used to this but I do dream of when she will sleep through the night again, like she was starting to do when she was 3 months old).

I am wondering if I should switch to exclusively pumping and feeding from a bottle instead of nursing her. I would really miss the nursing , but if she is eating better from the bottle and so be it.

Any ideas on how I can confirm if she really is doing better with the bottle? What do people here feel about switching over to exclusively bottle-feeding breastmilk?

Vidhya.

Default Re: Should I switch to breastmilk bottles?

hello! i had a very similar question...i want to go to bottle feeding with ebm...i am currently offering bottle at homecare and i just started to give bottles in the evening and during the day on weekends, i still nurse her right before bedtime and early in the morning before i go to work. i felt like i would really miss the nursing and the first few times i bottle fed i will admit i did get a bit sad, but i guess i have gotten used to it a little and it does make it possible for daddy to help out so i can do other things, dd is almost 7 mths and i just started solids so i think this is a good time because she also gets very distracted while nursing but when i bottle feed she can look around more and still eat...i think she is still getting breast milk so if it works better than nursing...why not? i don't think it matters whether she gets it from the breast or the bottle, as long as she is still getting that good stuff!

It sounds like you might be dealing with distractability. Your baby won't starve herself, so even if she isn't getting as much at one feeding, she'll make up for it by increasing frequency or eating more later. DS is almost 9 mo and he is doing a lot better about nursing now than he did then (and I think it also bothers me less now that I am more used to it.) So, I would say stick with nursing.

Your baby's nursing behaviors (distractability, on and off the breast) are very normal for that age regardless of whether there are bottles given or not. My DS never took a bottle, and at around 5 months I was SURE he must not be eating enough. But he continued gaining and was just fine. The distractibility got better as he got older. It is also not uncommon for babies that were once sleeping well or even through the night to begin waking more again. I'm not saying that this ISN'T due to eating less during the day, but it could happen regardless of whether you nurse or use bottles. As babies get older their sleep cycles change, they become more aware of the world around them, and separation anxiety starts to set in. This can all contribute to night waking. If you feel that you would really miss the nursing, I'd stick with it. As babies get older nursing becomes more and more about comfort and a way to reconnect with mom. Many mom's find that is the primary reason they continue.

Don't forget, he might be drinking more than you realize when he is nursing. My 4 month old nurses so efficiently...he is sometimes done in less than 10 minutes. It takes him much longer to take from the bottle. I say continue to nurse him...he will never let himself go hungry!

it gets a little easier. shiloh got really bad at 4mos until about a week ago and then he started nursing more and longer. he won't let himself go hungry. what you can do is nurse on demand during the day and offer a bottle of EBM at night right before bed to "top her off" if you are after more sleep. It may or may not work, but it certainly won't HURT.

Try and see. Let us know what you decide. BM out of a bottle is still BM and is still good for her.

leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

My baby is 9 months old and after this weekend of seeing her sick and her patterns of eating made me realize that when she is not sick she isn't hungry at night she just needs comfort, only BF will do for her.
    She eats for about 10 as well.
    JUst to let you know my friend lost her milk supply.
    She works so she was pumping and her baby started sleeping through the night (good for her huh!!) She wasn't pumping at night because well, we all know we need sleep and she was skipping a 10am pumping session. She lost her supply at 6 months. I am sure there are ways you can get around that and keep your supply up I don't want to scare you I just wanted to let you know because my friend had no idea.

Vidhya,
    Just a note that the 'Exclusive pumping' route may eventually lead to a diminished supply, and encourage the baby to wean. I had this problem which I came out of with great difficulty. I'd say, even if you offer bottles, try to nurse atleast a couple times a day. Nothing does better for your supply than your baby.
    All the Best.

Just an update - yesterday, before and after work, when Sandhya nursed, she did great. And what's more she slept through the night last night after nursing to sleep - 6 straight hours!! What a good baby! Hopefully, even if things go back to bad, they keep recovering. And I have my special times with my little bundle of joy at my breast.

Thanks everyone for the support in helping me keep my resolve to nurse. It's been a tough job, but so wonderful!