Re: Baby getting Constipated
Can you tell us some more about your baby's pooping habits- for example:
- How often does she poop?
- When she poops, is she straining to pass the poop?
- Does she ever seem to be in pain when she poops?
- Any blood in her stool?
- What is the consistency of her poop- is it soft or hard? If you pick up a poopy diaper, will the poop roll or peel right off, or is it smooshy enough that it really sticks to the diaper?
tips on coping with constipation:
- Increase number of breastfeeding sessions/day (5-6 is probably enough at 7.5 months but 8 would be better!)
- Reduce constipating foods in her diet (white rice, cheese, dairy, bananas, apples, white bread)
This is totally normal, and not a reason to see the pediatrician. Until around 1 year of age, solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. They're not nutritionally necessary. What your child is doing- picking up the solids and playing with them- is a very normal prelude to her putting them into her mouth and eating them.
Also as well as that we are having problems with getting her to eat finger foods and her hv is considering sending her to a paediatrician. She has a pretty good pincer grasp and will pick the food up and play with it. Also if you put food towards her mouth she will then hold it in her mouth herself but she wont do both together. If I hand her food and her arm is still straight she will just wave it around and then drop it :s
One thing I've noticed is that when UK mommies write about HVs and solids, the HVs are always pushing the solids and discouraging meeting the baby's needs with nursing sessions. So I tend to when I see their advice.
Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"