Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby getting Constipated

Default Baby getting Constipated

Hi, my baby is now 7.5months old and has been having solids since around 6months. We started off slowly and have increased it slowly. However for the past week or so she's been getting constipated. Giving her prune/pear juice does help her go but this keeps reoccuring. She still has 5-6 breastfeeds a day plus a little wated in a sippy cup with food.

Her usual feeding routine is:

bf when she 1st wakes up
    whealgrain porridge mixed with fruit puree (usually apple or something)
    bf before morning nap
    snack of chopped fruit after nap (more to try as finger foods than anything)
    bf as she wants till dinner time
    dinner at the same time as us, this meal varies tho fish pie, cheesy brocolli/cauli are common meals
    then bf for bed

she also has a bottle of hipp organics good night milk at midnight

Could anyone please advise me why she is likely to be getting constipated as I thought as long as shes getting plenty of milk still and the majority of her diet is fruit & veg she should be fine.

Also as well as that we are having problems with getting her to eat finger foods and her hv is considering sending her to a paediatrician. She has a pretty good pincer grasp and will pick the food up and play with it. Also if you put food towards her mouth she will then hold it in her mouth herself but she wont do both together. If I hand her food and her arm is still straight she will just wave it around and then drop it :s

Thanks for all your help. Trying to do everything just right for your little ones is so hard sometimes

Default Re: Baby getting Constipated

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yummum85 View Post
    Hi, my baby is now 7.5months old and has been having solids since around 6months. We started off slowly and have increased it slowly. However for the past week or so she's been getting constipated. Giving her prune/pear juice does help her go but this keeps reoccuring. She still has 5-6 breastfeeds a day plus a little wated in a sippy cup with food. I don't think that is nursing enough for the age. i thought it was supposed to be 8-12

Her usual feeding routine is:

bf when she 1st wakes up
    whealgrain porridge mixed with fruit puree (usually apple or something) These are both food items that could make it hard for your baby to poop.
    bf before morning nap
    snack of chopped fruit after nap (more to try as finger foods than anything)
    bf as she wants till dinner time
    dinner at the same time as us, this meal varies tho fish pie, cheesy brocolli/cauli are common meals Again cheese is also a constipating food
    then bf for bed

she also has a bottle of hipp organics good night milk at midnight Why is she getting this?

Could anyone please advise me why she is likely to be getting constipated as I thought as long as shes getting plenty of milk still and the majority of her diet is fruit & veg she should be fine.

Also as well as that we are having problems with getting her to eat finger foods and her hv is considering sending her to a paediatrician. She has a pretty good pincer grasp and will pick the food up and play with it. Also if you put food towards her mouth she will then hold it in her mouth herself but she wont do both together. If I hand her food and her arm is still straight she will just wave it around and then drop it :s This seems normal. At this age solids are not neccessary.

Thanks for all your help. Trying to do everything just right for your little ones is so hard sometimes
    hopefully someone else will also reply in case i miss something. holding a sleeping baby
    We and doing lots of for that cute
    Made it 1 year with no end in sight!
    And still enjoy lots of
    DD 1 Miss M 3 years
    DD 2 Miss H 1 year

at that age its way ok to cut back all solids and start over slowly

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

Can you tell us some more about your baby's pooping habits- for example:
    - How often does she poop?
    - When she poops, is she straining to pass the poop?
    - Does she ever seem to be in pain when she poops?
    - Any blood in her stool?
    - What is the consistency of her poop- is it soft or hard? If you pick up a poopy diaper, will the poop roll or peel right off, or is it smooshy enough that it really sticks to the diaper?

tips on coping with constipation:
    - Increase number of breastfeeding sessions/day (5-6 is probably enough at 7.5 months but 8 would be better!)
    - Reduce constipating foods in her diet (white rice, cheese, dairy, bananas, apples, white bread)

Also as well as that we are having problems with getting her to eat finger foods and her hv is considering sending her to a paediatrician. She has a pretty good pincer grasp and will pick the food up and play with it. Also if you put food towards her mouth she will then hold it in her mouth herself but she wont do both together. If I hand her food and her arm is still straight she will just wave it around and then drop it :s
    This is totally normal, and not a reason to see the pediatrician. Until around 1 year of age, solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. They're not nutritionally necessary. What your child is doing- picking up the solids and playing with them- is a very normal prelude to her putting them into her mouth and eating them.

One thing I've noticed is that when UK mommies write about HVs and solids, the HVs are always pushing the solids and discouraging meeting the baby's needs with nursing sessions. So I tend to when I see their advice.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You would be surprised how the baby really does not have to have solids. I would stop and slowly reintroduce.
    DS1 Chase John Born 6/30/04
    DS2 Van Gunner 6/22/10
    DD1 Adelynn Grace 1/20/14

Sorry for not replying, I thought I'd subscribed to the thread so was waiting for the email lol but obviously not, silly me :/

Anyways thankyou for all your advice, I didnt realise so many of the foods she has could be doing it. I have taken her back off solids altogether for the moment and shes pooing fine again. Though now we're having supply issues, but thats a separate post lol. Again thanks for all your help

Giving juice and liquids helped with constipation. Juice has sorbitol which draws fluid into the bowel. I was paranoid about my LO drinking too much juice, because I felt he would drink less BM, but it only helps. If your baby is constipated he doesn't feel like eating as much. I avoided rice, bananas, apples (except the juice) because they contribute to constipation. I have begun to add them back in the diet now though as my baby is drinking more juice/water and having less issues with constipation.