Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fenugreek & Milk Thistle

Default Re: Fenugreek & Milk Thistle

Ok, here's my new question related to Fenugreek....

I was getting about 12oz a day and now I'm getting about 18-20oz a day!!!!! (3 caps 4x day for about a week I guess) I'm using 16 oz or so at daycare every day.

I see the biggest increase in the morning - I pump before LO gets up at 0430and again at 0900. The first pump of the morning was around 3 oz and now is at least 6, but was 7.5 today. I used to pump on my way to work at about 0645 for 15 min and then again at 0900 for 20 min or so. I dropped the on the way to work pump and still get the 4-5 oz at the 0900 that I was getting in total for both pumps.

Anyways, the question is: now that my production is up, do I back down or stop taking the Fenugreek? Or do I have to keep taking it to keep supply up?

Thanks, ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bbmomma View Post

also, Milk thistle is the same thing as blessed thistle, just with a different name.
    Actually, they're not the same. Milk thistle is Silybum marinum, and is typically used in liver support formulas. Blessed thistle, or Cnicus benedictus, is the galactagogue. I've heard both of them occasionally referred to as "blessed milk thistle", so it is confusing and if you are just buying the straight up herbs you should check the latinate name to be sure.

Sorry, I am a trained botanist :geek, don't mean to be annoying.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*drenee73 View Post
    Ok, here's my new question related to Fenugreek....

I was getting about 12oz a day and now I'm getting about 18-20oz a day!!!!! (3 caps 4x day for about a week I guess) I'm using 16 oz or so at daycare every day.

I see the biggest increase in the morning - I pump before LO gets up at 0430and again at 0900. The first pump of the morning was around 3 oz and now is at least 6, but was 7.5 today. I used to pump on my way to work at about 0645 for 15 min and then again at 0900 for 20 min or so. I dropped the on the way to work pump and still get the 4-5 oz at the 0900 that I was getting in total for both pumps.

Anyways, the question is: now that my production is up, do I back down or stop taking the Fenugreek? Or do I have to keep taking it to keep supply up?

Thanks, ladies.
    I've always found that once my supply is up, i can stop taking it. But when it starts to go down again, I have to take it again (usually revolving around my cycles)
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ooky View Post
    Actually, they're not the same. Milk thistle is Silybum marinum, and is typically used in liver support formulas. Blessed thistle, or Cnicus benedictus, is the galactagogue. I've heard both of them occasionally referred to as "blessed milk thistle", so it is confusing and if you are just buying the straight up herbs you should check the latinate name to be sure.

Sorry, I am a trained botanist :geek, don't mean to be annoying.
    Hah! I'm wrong then. It's always good to have someone who knows what they're talking about. Well I guess I'm going to have a really good liver, huh? I'm gonna seriously rant off at the herbalist that told me Milk thistle is the same as Blessed thistle. Silly woman.

Anyway!

Jarred - 12/June/2007 - BF for 3 months - stopped due to medical reasons
    Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!
    We , , and too, but we're having problems..
    EPING for 3 months and counting!!