Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenugreek & Milk Thistle

Default Fenugreek & Milk Thistle

Hi! I'm looking to take these two herbs together and wondered if anyone has a bit of advice for me please? I wanted to know about dosage if taken seperately, and dosage if taken together. At the moment I'm pumping exclusivly, but am looking to return to breast feeding as soon as DD lets me.. but I need to up my supply in the mean time.

Thank you!

Jarred - 12/June/2007 - BF for 3 months - stopped due to medical reasons
    Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!
    We , , and too, but we're having problems..
    EPING for 3 months and counting!!

Default Re: Fenugreek & Milk Thistle

I just learned after going through two bottles of fenugreek with little change in my milk supply that you have to take like 12 a day to see a change. I have just started a new bottle and have upped my intake and sure enough I am noticing a change in supply. She is drinking much more each feeding. Although I do not pump, I EBF.
    JEN
    Happy Wife of 20 years to J~
    Mommy to DD E~ 9/22/04 BF 21 months
    Mommy to DD H~ 7/2/07 BF 27 months CD'd from 10 mos on!
    Mommy to DD A~ 7-14-10 All cloth, and Potty Trained at 2 1/2. Still Nursing!
    I grow an organic garden, homeschool, and really feel blessed to be a SAHM!

Aaah. 12 a day was what I was taking and it did little for my supply. BUT. Never say never. I stopped taking it for a little while but I've now started again and I'll not be forgetting a dose I can tell you! I'm also pumping a whole lot more than I was, so hopefully we'll see some sort of results soon.

Still wondering about taking both herbs though.. Anyone?

Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!

Bump >.> Don't shoot me..

So, this makes me wonder if I'm taking enough?

I did what my LC said - I'm taking 2 capsules 3x day. I have maple sugar smell, but not always. And even eating 1 stalk of asparagus takes away the maple sugar smell.....

My production has NOT increased and I'm sitting here pumping first thing in the morning right now. I'm crushed as I woke up to a big wet spot on the bed and on my shirt - my full boobie (the one she wasn't nibbling on all night) has netted me a whopping 1.5 oz this morning - should have been closer to 3 oz).

I'm going to try upping my Fenugreek to 3 caps 3x day and see what happens. I just don't want an Rx but I'm still falling short of what she needs each day for day care. I'm having to dip into excess every day and there's not much more at this rate. <sigh>

I can't pump more, I drink water until I'm blue in the face, I feed her any time she wants (and more) when I'm with her, I eat healthy, I get pleny of "sleep" (laying down in the bed with my eyes closed and the lights off) and I'm still falling short anywhere between 3 and 4 oz a day. <sigh>

SOOOOOOOO frustrated right now....

from what i've read (a bunch) you need to take either 3 capsules 4 times a day or 4 3x a day.

And it's not MILK thistle that you take with it, it's blessed thistle.

How about trying Mothers More Milk Plus in a tincture that contains the herbs together, plus some others? It tastes gross but it works.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    from what i've read (a bunch) you need to take either 3 capsules 4 times a day or 4 3x a day.

And it's not MILK thistle that you take with it, it's blessed thistle.

How about trying Mothers More Milk Plus in a tincture that contains the herbs together, plus some others? It tastes gross but it works.
    I'm waiting for this to come in the post. Hopefully today!

also, Milk thistle is the same thing as blessed thistle, just with a different name.
    Last edited by @llli*bbmomma; February 11th, 2011 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*drenee73 View Post
    So, this makes me wonder if I'm taking enough?

I did what my LC said - I'm taking 2 capsules 3x day. I have maple sugar smell, but not always. And even eating 1 stalk of asparagus takes away the maple sugar smell.....

My production has NOT increased and I'm sitting here pumping first thing in the morning right now. I'm crushed as I woke up to a big wet spot on the bed and on my shirt - my full boobie (the one she wasn't nibbling on all night) has netted me a whopping 1.5 oz this morning - should have been closer to 3 oz).

I'm going to try upping my Fenugreek to 3 caps 3x day and see what happens. I just don't want an Rx but I'm still falling short of what she needs each day for day care. I'm having to dip into excess every day and there's not much more at this rate. <sigh>

I can't pump more, I drink water until I'm blue in the face, I feed her any time she wants (and more) when I'm with her, I eat healthy, I get pleny of "sleep" (laying down in the bed with my eyes closed and the lights off) and I'm still falling short anywhere between 3 and 4 oz a day. <sigh>

SOOOOOOOO frustrated right now....
    How much is your LO having in each bottle at day care? I've read a few threads on here about the amounts and such so I was just wondering.

Just an update, after taking my Fenugreek & Milk Thistle (2 Fenugreek, 4 MT x3/pd) I've had a tiny up in my supply. I'm also now using a Medela Symphony to pump but need to get bigger horns as the ones I have are too small for my 'voluptous' breasts (HV said that the first time she saw me trying to nurse) and they don't make a good enough suction.

Anyway! Hope you ladies are having more luck than I am. I'm waiting on my posty in hopes he brings me my More Milk Plus today.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bbmomma View Post
    I'm waiting for this to come in the post. Hopefully today!

also, Milk thistle is the same thing as blessed thistle, just with a different name.
    Really?! I didn't know that, they'res old separately at our store!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    Really?! I didn't know that, they'res old separately at our store!
    Google it. Here in my health store I asked for Blessed Thistle and they sold me Milk thistle, saying it was the same thing. *shrug* I may go back and ask again. See what happens.

Edit- And my More Milk Plus didn't arive today. I'm almost out of the other stuff so it better come tomorrow!
    Last edited by @llli*bbmomma; February 11th, 2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Forgetfulness!!