Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Late start.. Only getting dropplets!

Default Late start.. Only getting dropplets!

My baby is almost 7 weeks old now. She was in the NICU for almost 2 weeks because she didn't want to eat, and she was losing weight. Because of this, the doctor had her put on a high calorie formula. My plan all along was to breastfeed, but because of her weight/eating issues, I was too scared to switch her to breast milk before she caught up weight wise, and got on a good eating schedule (probably dumb, I know).

Anyways, I am more than ready for her to be switched to breast milk now. I've been pumping a few times a day everyday just to make sure my milk didn't dry up, but I now think I wasn't pumping often enough. I'm struggling with a SUPER low supply.. I only get dropplets. It takes me 3-4 pumping sessions just to get maybe half an ounce.... I've been trying to pump every 2-3 hours, 10 minutes on each side. I also ordered some Fenugreek.

Is it hopeless? Will I ever be able to get my supply up to where it needs to be, or did I royally mess up by not pumping often enough in the past few weeks? Can you go from dropplets, to getting multiple ounces each session? What can I do to get there? Any help/suggestions are very appreciated!!

Default Re: Late start.. Only getting dropplets!

I'm no expert , but I would think you'd need a hospital grade pump that's pumping both sides at the same time. I also think you'd have to pump a lot more and longer. I would suggest checking out Dr. Jack Newmans site.

Congrats on your new baby. I'm glad your LO is out of the hospital.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Default Re: Late start.. Only getting dropplets!

Welcome! I'm sorry you're having a rough time with your newborn. But don't despair- it's not too late to get things back on track. You can go from drops to a full supply. You can even go from nothing to a full supply! Here's what I suggest:
    1. See a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. She can help you tailor your routine for maximum effectiveness and may be able to help you get your baby back to the breast.
    2. Make sure you have the best pump (I recommend a hospital-grade pump) with properly-sized shields. There is a huge difference in effectiveness between pumps, and you need the top of the line.
    3. Use your pump religiously. I suggest starting off by pumping every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night, for at least 10-15 minutes per side.
    4. Herbs. Fenugreek, blessed thistle, and ordinary oatmeal are all good for increasing supply.
    5. Drugs. Reglan and Domperidone are anti-nausea drugs that can increase milk production as a side effect. Both have additional side effects and are not right for all moms, so discuss their use with your midwife or doctor before taking either one.
    6. This link covers all the ways I know of to get a baby back to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html In particular, the skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques are useful.
    7. If you can get your baby to go back to the breast, throw the feeding schedule out. Throw the idea of it out. Breastfeeding works best when baby is allowed unrestricted demand, even if that means nursing every 20-30 minutes for a while. The more often your baby is allowed to demand milk from the breast, the better your supply will be and the faster it will come back.
    8. Have realistic expectations. Don't expect to get back to where you want to be overnight. It took 7 weeks for you to get where you are, so I would expect it to take at least that long to get back.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"