Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold Feet

Default Re: Cold Feet

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post

Here's one brand of sleep sack:
    http://halosleep.com/

He does get cold hands - but I read somewhere that's ok, and that it's better in terms of SIDS risk for LO to sleep in a slightly cooler room. If it gets really cold, we'll get some onesies with the built-in mitts (the end of the sleeve flips over to cover the hand). I'm pretty sure he'd wiggle out of loose mitts.

Hope this helps!
    Lynn
    You may want to reconsider this....I used to use them and then the RN who runs my group showed me s bunch of research that shows that the rate a baby learns things is dramatically impeded if their hands are covered. And sleep sacks are a great fix WHILE THEY LAST!!! DJ has been too big to fit in one since about 6months and you won't find a crawler anywhere who doesn't protest having there ability to explore so dramatically restricted.

Yes...I agree with DJ's Mom that the sleep sacks are only good until the lo starts crawling...or even rolling around. Inever really like them...and I use footed jammies. Her hands, and even her cheeks, may get a bit cool at times, but it is her core temp that is important. I sleep nude, under a sheet and one blanket. I figure that's the same as her in her fleece jammies...so if I am warm enough, she probably is too. And she will wake if she gets too cold!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

One more in agreement here. Safety aside, they just love their freedom to move around. I always felt like it was cruel to cover my daughters hands because she loved playing with them so much. Even when she was swaddled as a newborn I would always leave her hands out. If you are worried, just use many layers, like a long sleeved onsie and fleece footed pajamas. You can take his temperature to ensure that he is indeed warm enough, if it makes you feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    You may want to reconsider this....I used to use them and then the RN who runs my group showed me s bunch of research that shows that the rate a baby learns things is dramatically impeded if their hands are covered. And sleep sacks are a great fix WHILE THEY LAST!!! DJ has been too big to fit in one since about 6months and you won't find a crawler anywhere who doesn't protest having there ability to explore so dramatically restricted.
    I'm feeling a bit defensive .... I'm very aware that babies learn through touching / exploring! I guess I should have said that we might consider mitts if it gets really cold. Where we live it can get into the single digits (farenheight) and our almost 100 year house is a bear to heat, even with the new insulation we just had installed. If it's THAT cold I'm wearing multiple layers to bed and buried under down comforters. I'm thinking that in that case a night or two of covered hands might be an ok compromise.

Lynn

wow didnt think this would be a hot topic. thanks though. lol i really wasnt sure if u used blankets on babies or not. i asked my dad before DS was born and said yes you do. anyway yea, a sleep sack would never work for him, he loves his freedom too much it seems. i do have footed pjs on him right now for bed, suppose when it gets colder i'll just have to layer him like suggested. thanks. and i know its a sids risk with him sleeping with me, hes been doing it since he was about 2 weeks old though, it was the only way either of us got sleep, trying to wean him off it now actually but its just so easy when he wakes up to grab him, put him in my bed and stick a boob in his mouth and go back to bed.

My sleepsack is very different from the one shown. It's sleeveless and snaps at the shoulders and zips down the front. The arms are completely free and there is also plenty of room for kicking. But my lo doesn't crawl right now. I take it off when she wakes up anyway.

http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/SearchProducts.aspx?SearchString=sleep+sack&S4Dept ID=327&Dep=kids+%2b+baby&cmResetCat=true&CatID=Sea rchResults%7cSearchProducts%7c327&CmCatId=SearchRe sults|SearchDepartment

Mine is the pink one. It looks like they have one for toddlers too and it has foot openings for mobility.
    Last edited by Mia'sMom; October 23rd, 2006 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoeythelost View Post
    wow didnt think this would be a hot topic. thanks though. lol i really wasnt sure if u used blankets on babies or not. i asked my dad before DS was born and said yes you do. anyway yea, a sleep sack would never work for him, he loves his freedom too much it seems. i do have footed pjs on him right now for bed, suppose when it gets colder i'll just have to layer him like suggested. thanks. and i know its a sids risk with him sleeping with me, hes been doing it since he was about 2 weeks old though, it was the only way either of us got sleep, trying to wean him off it now actually but its just so easy when he wakes up to grab him, put him in my bed and stick a boob in his mouth and go back to bed.
    It's not a hot topic for me. I co-sleep and will still actually swaddle if he needs calming, I was sharing the information about the mitts because my son was born in Dec and it was cold here last winter and he was small and liked to scratch his face. I thought nothing of covering his hands until I was told by someone that it could impede his learning. I thought I could pass along some information that may be helpful. I was to me. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    I'm feeling a bit defensive .... I'm very aware that babies learn through touching / exploring! I guess I should have said that we might consider mitts if it gets really cold. Where we live it can get into the single digits (farenheight) and our almost 100 year house is a bear to heat, even with the new insulation we just had installed. If it's THAT cold I'm wearing multiple layers to bed and buried under down comforters. I'm thinking that in that case a night or two of covered hands might be an ok compromise.

Lynn
    Hi Lynn,
    You shouldn't ever feel like you are being attacked on this forum, or need to defend yourself. Most times the moms here are just sharing the research and information that they have learned so that other moms can benefit. None of us are identical in our situations and how we will parent, but I think we can all agree that the more information that you have the better equipped that you can be to make the appropriate decision. That being said, we all need to understand that this is a "typing" forum and not a "speaking" forum and it is often hard to get across emotions and sometimes "pleasantries" are eliminated, so it's hard to get a sense of the "voice" of the poster. DJ's mom was merely sharing her experiences and knowledge to arm you with the information that she has to help you make the best decision. And Erin and I reiterated so that you could "hear" that other moms agree and have learned the same thing. We can't tell you how to raise your child, and none of us understand your full situation, so we can't make the final decision. And I think we would all agree that there are times that covering a little ones hands is necessary (I fully intend to use mittens when we go outside in the freezing cold, in which case I refuse to do it to sleep), but all we were doing was letting you know that perhaps you should entertain other ideas and if that is the only way then use it sparingly. I hope you don't feel like you were being attacked or made to feel bad about a decision that you have made.
    Best to you in this upcoming cold season - I know I'm not looking forward to it!
    Kimberley

Lynn...I second Kimberly...we are only sharing information. And I am going to share some more right now, that isn't necessarily in agreement and def. not ment to be argumentative ! I live in a place that gets down to -40F on a very regular basis in the winter...and I live in an old trailer house right now that is very hard to heat!!! So I know where you are coming from. Last winter, when dd was a newborn, I put her in a onesie with footed cotton jammies, and then inside a fleece sleepsack with arms. Sometimes I even put socks on her little feet...but I did leave her hands free. She always hated being swaddled! Now, when it gets cold I sometimes put her in cotton jammies and then inside footed fleece jammies...or just a onesie with socks inside the footed fleece jammies. It is okay for their fingers to get cool...not cold, of course, but cool is okay. I always make sure that her layers are similar to mine (compare them to the covers I am using). And she does sleep with a blankie...but that is her security and not necessarily for warmth.

I only added this because I want you to have options, if you want them! Please don't think that we think you are a bad mum...and you are right...a night or two of mitted hands will likely not impair your lo's development, as long as you do it in...well...moderation . I love saying that becuase it seems to be such a popular phrase these days!!!

And zoeythelost...sleeping with your lo is considered a sids risk, but I was mostly referring to sleeping with your lo and using lots of covers...I am def. a proponent of cosleeping (wish we could have!).

Take care everyone and happy sleeping!!!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thanks for all the follow up posts - I definitely appreciate all the sharing of personal experiences and research on these forums! I've certainly learned TONS in the few weeks that I've been a member of the LLL forum, and hope that others have benefitted from some of the posts that I've made.

An additional problem of email vs. oral communication is lack of context. It's totally obvious to me what our personal situation is (climate, house, etc.) but since we haven't yet met you all don't have that background information.

I wasn't feeling really attacked, more like I needed to provide some of that additional background & context.

HUGS!

Lynn