Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Feet

Default Cold Feet

yall are gonna think this is a really silly question and really doesnt have much to do with breastfeeding but I wanted to see what yall would say about this. If theres a better place to post this i'll happily go there if yall let me know.
    Anyway DS hates blankets and anything that constricts his legs. While i was pregnant i had a foot sticking out of my side constantly. I have PJs for him, hes 5.5months old, but it sometimes gets really cold here(lol louisiana, its never that cold =P) and i want to make sure he stays warm. last night he slept with me and it got somewhat cold and ever time i would put the blanket over him he tossed and turned and kicked until it was off. i'm completely baby clueless and make things up as i go along. but babys do sleep with blankets right? i know you are suppose to wrap them up as newborns, and he hated that also. so how do i get him to accept a blanket over him? ok yall must think i'm crazy by now, but thanks for any responses

Default Re: Cold Feet

you could try a sleep sack??

I live in New York - where it actually does get cold - and I put my daughter in footed pajamas, with an undershirt if it is really cold. I never put a blanket on her because I am afraid of it getting over her face, so I just layer her up. Does he not like his feet covered at all? You could also try plain old socks. Good luck!

Actually...it is considered a sids risk for baby to sleep with blankets...and for them to cosleep with you if you have blankets on your bed. That said...my dd sleeps with a very breathable crocheted blanket...and she always kicks it off during her sleep. Not intentionally, but she moves about a lot! She sleeps in fleece one piece jammies, with a onesie underneath...and we have a little heater in her room that keeps the temp a bit higher in there. And, as wyattsmama suggested, you can try a sleep sack too!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I have been thinking about this too. I do put blankets over my daughter and she does kick them off. I held her little hand the other night and it was cold! I put a little hat on her the next couple nights and turned the heat up a little. I have also thought about getting some kind of sleep sack. Do they sell them at regular stores like Target, etc?

DJ is the sweaty sweatster. He hates sleeping w/ anything over his feet. His favorite PJs are a Short sleeved two piece w/SHORTS from the Gap!!! For the winter I just bought him some thermal long johns but they are w/out feet so he's cool w/ that...

I put my DS in a footed PJ so he doesn't need a blanket. If he had a blanket or sheet, he would pull it up and start chewing on it! Then I would worry it would be over his head. He sleeps with us...we only use a sheet right now (just started getting a little chilly here in Vegas)...and we don't put it over him.
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering

We started using a sleep sack when our DS was 10 weeks because he managed to "houdini" his way out of any sort of swaddling, we don't want to use loose blankets because of the SIDS risk, and heading into winter it's cold where we live.

Here's one brand of sleep sack:
    http://halosleep.com/

They come in different weights of fabrics. We got fleece for the winter, and can adjust the warmth by what he's wearing inside the sleep sack.

He does get cold hands - but I read somewhere that's ok, and that it's better in terms of SIDS risk for LO to sleep in a slightly cooler room. If it gets really cold, we'll get some onesies with the built-in mitts (the end of the sleeve flips over to cover the hand). I'm pretty sure he'd wiggle out of loose mitts.

Hope this helps!
    Lynn

My DS is 2 1/2 and STILL hates blankets! He won't have anything to do with them. Even he did put on a blanket, he rolls around so much that I'm sure it would be off after a short time anyway. We used the sleep sacks for a long time. Now I just put him in either socks or footed pj's and put on an undershirt if it's cold.

Carters makes sleep sacks you can buy at a department store, too. They're nice and fleecy!