Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning my 18 month old

Default Weaning my 18 month old

I had always planned on my child self-weaning, but I've recently been confronted with a hard decision. I have a large fibroid that I had throughout my pregnancy (with no complications. did a home delivery). We hoped that the fibroid would shrink on its own after I gave birth, but here we are 18 mos later and it's still the same size. I've tried every holistic remedy I could find and generally lead a very healthy lifestyle. I found a fantastic doctor through my midwife. She is hands down the most surgically conservative doctor in Chicago. Before meeting with her, I had several doctors insist that I get this fibroid removed. I very much want to preserve the health of my uterus for my future as a a childbearing women. Anyway, my doctor is extremely supportive. At our last visit, she strongly expressed that we need to do something about this fibroid before it does permanent damage to my uterus. She recommends going on Lupron for six mos to shrink the fibroid and then conceiving. Fine. That means that we have to wean because Lupron is not safe for breastfeeding. At the time (3 weeks ago), my little one was still nursing 4 x a day, with who knows how many overnight nursings (we co sleep). We are down to 2 x a day and have started putting him in his crib once he has fallen asleep with us, which he seems fine with. He still insists on nursing at least twice overnight and will accept nothing else. I've actually been out of town overnight a couple of times and he has a very restless night with my husband. If I'm here, he will accept no comforting from my husband. Any suggestions on how to get rid of these overnight feedings?? Also, I've been having a hard time getting him to sleep at night by nursing him because my milk supply is supply is so low (I think). He keeps wanting to go to the other side, sucks for a bit, and then wants to go to the other side. I've tried reading to him, singing to him, rocking him and he gets so angry. The only thing that works is putting on an episode of Sesame Street. He eventually falls asleep and I can transfer him into his crib. Is that just terrible? Any suggestions on that? Thank you my beautiful and supportive friends!

Default Re: Weaning my 18 month old

I can't get to my Medications and Mother's Milk right at the moment, but I wonder how uncompatable the medication is with bfing. Have you called http://www.infantrisk.com/ to talk to them about the situation? an 18 mo is generally not getting a huge volume of milk and their bodies can process medications that do make it into their systems well, so sometimes a medication that would no be suitable to take with an infant would be okay with a toddler.

Those transitions to a new way of sleep are tough. Is your husband up for working to find a way to put him to sleep? It might be that you nurse first, then hand your still awake son off to your husband. He then might read or sing or rock. Even though it doesn't work for you, it might work for your husband. During the night, it can sometimes help to sleep in seperate spaces, even with dad and child together and you seperate. If they know their favorite comfort of nursing is available, that's often all they want.

It sounds like you are making progress at a pretty good pace. It takes a whie to make those transitions and it sounds like you are being sensitive to your lo's needs.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Call Infant Risk
    The InfantRisk Center will be dedicated to providing up-to-date evidence-based information on the use of medications during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Our goal is to provide accurate information regarding the risks of exposure to mothers and their babies. By educating healthcare professionals and the general public alike, we aim to reduce the number of birth defects as well as create healthy breastfeeding relationships.

We are now open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. Please contact us at (806)-352-2519.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

No you don't have to wean!!!!!!! I have been in your shoes and I have taken the six month course of Lupron and nursed and pumped through it with no complications!!! please don't wean as a preventative, the reason Lupron is contradicted in breastfeeding is because it typically causes women to loose supply, if you are proactive about maintaining that supply you CAN and WILL be successfully mama, I will dig up my threads for you
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

my very first post here http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ghlight=lupron

discussing my surgery stay http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ghlight=lupron
    more of that http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ghlight=lupron

my whole story about finding the fibroid and how it impacted my delivery/pregnancy http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ghlight=lupron
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07