Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing dramatically less often

Unhappy Nursing dramatically less often

My son turned a year old 3 weeks ago. For about the last 4 weeks, he has been nursing dramatically less often.

Right now, he will nurse half-asleep sometime between 4:30 and 6:30 am. When he wakes up, he will refuse to nurse again before we go to daycare (always used to). When I pick him up from daycare in the evening, he used to always nurse vigorously and for a good 20 minutes. Now, he'll latch on for 30 seconds, pull off and sit up and struggle to get away. He won't nurse until he's going to bed at night. He may nurse once or twice in his sleep during the night.

So, he's going at least 12 hours during the day without nursing, and refusing to nurse at our "traditional" times like before and after daycare. On the weekends, it's mostly the same - occasionally, he'll nurse down for a nap, but mostly he refuses.

I just keep reading about other moms whose young toddlers are nursing like newborns, and I'm kind of heartbroken. We're down to nursing three, maybe four times a day, and mostly when he's half-asleep. He didn't step up nursing when he was sick last week, and no change since he's been feeling better.

He is drinking whole cow's milk, and seems to be staying hydrated. He's happy and affectionate. He just doesn't want to nurse. And this is so contrary to everything that I believe about when child-led weaning occurs, I'm really at a loss.

I battled for better than 7 months with oversupply, and suddenly I'm afraid that my milk will be gone if he ever does decide to step up his nursing. And my mood is down from the dropoff in nursing sessions.

ETA: I should note that my frozen stash went bad and I have pump weaned, so DS is not getting any expressed breastmilk at daycare, just solids and cow's milk.
    Last edited by @llli*manatee; January 27th, 2011 at 09:06 PM.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Default Re: Nursing dramatically less often

i am so so so so with you. our babies are exactly the same age (well, mine was born 1/3/10). I've been having a really hard time. My guy nurses once during the night now and then sort of has a half interested nurse when we get up, but nothing substantial. Then I get home from work at five and he's totes not interested. I would say at this point when I'm working full time he only nurses three good times a day. When i'm home on the weekends, it's a bit more.

It seems so f'ed up to me because i totally want him to make the call, but I also didn't think he'd want to be done so soon I'm sad about it too. And from what i've heard here, it's "very uncommon" for a kiddo to wean on their own before two. But right now, I really feel like Maxy could take it or leave it.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

to us, I guess.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Hi there! I just posted about this same situation a few weeks ago. My DD is 13 months and I'm going through the same thing. I mean literally as soon as she turned 1, she dropped sessions. And just really seems to have no interest. But after researching and talking with other ladies on here (oh and be sure to check out the online LLL chat session every Sunday night at 9, it was very helpful!), I believe it is a phase. And for me, I believe it's also teething. She waited literally 12 months before getting any teeth and now she's getting like 2 teeth a week. Additionally, she's learned to walk...so there's just a lot of activity going on. From what people have said, 12-14 months seems to be a period of nursing strikes...then *hopefully* they should pick back up. For me right now, she nurses (very quickly and not both sides) in the morning...then before the nap (again, only one side)...has no interest in the afternoon, then asks for it around dinner time....and briefly before bed. My supply has dropped dramatically . But I've given up pumping, mostly because I wasn't able to get anything out anymore. So if she picks back up, hopefully my supply will too.

Anyway, I guess the bottom line is...know that you're not alone...and apparently this is very common. So HANG IN THERE...don't give up...continue to offer the breast OFTEN (at least that's what everyone keeps telling me). And like I said, check out the online chat with LLL on Sundays...it's open questions and answers, just like going to a meeting.
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

Nursed DD1 for 28 months and am now nursing DD2 going on 8 months!