Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sample daily menu with snacks for a 1YO?

Default Re: Sample daily menu with snacks for a 1YO?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    Are you going to pump wean? I'm trying to plan it or think about it. I want to do it, but why does it make me nervous?
    Pump weaning made me nervous too. I actually carried my pump for an additional week "just in case"
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

My milk is real. I understand you can introduce cow's milk at one year. I suppose ice cream would follow. I don't eat dairy, so I never really thought about that.

I would do plain yogurt or cottage cheese before ice cream.

Julia, are you still pumping at work? Me too. Are you going to pump wean? I'm trying to plan it or think about it. I want to do it, but why does it make me nervous?

I PM'ed you, Buff. Thanks, girls!!
    Dude. I'm too nervous to pump wean right now - he's only really nursing once when i get home now and once in the middle of the night, and once in the morning.

I'm not sure if this is going tobe a permanent schedule or if it's just while he's teething so I'm going to hold out for a couple of weeks because despite what everyone said, my supply did not know what to do when he wanted more milk on the weekends. He was sucking my empty boob for about an hour and a half mashing it together like dough trying to eek another drop.

So while i'm itching not to pump anymore, i feel like it's the only way to keep my supply up when i'm home.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

My milk is real. I understand you can introduce cow's milk at one year. I suppose ice cream would follow. I don't eat dairy, so I never really thought about that.

I would do plain yogurt or cottage cheese before ice cream.

Julia, are you still pumping at work? Me too. Are you going to pump wean? I'm trying to plan it or think about it. I want to do it, but why does it make me nervous?

I PM'ed you, Buff. Thanks, girls!!
    I was also nervous to pump wean... I guess to me if felt like he didn't "need my milk" during the day anymore, so it made me sad. But in the end, I pump weaned when DS was about 11.5-12 months old, and I had enough frozen EBM to send 1-2 cups of BM to daycare with him every day until he was 13 months old. I will tell you that while I was initially sad/nervous to pump wean, I am now SOOOOO happy to not have to worry about pumping anymore... it is so FREEING to not have to pump at work anymore. And my son does just fine drinking cow's milk at daycare, and then we nurse when we get home, before bed, 1-2 times during the night, and first thing in the morning... about the same on the weekends, except I will nurse him before nap on the weekend.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

For pump weaning, I think it does help a lot if your baby is nursing nonstop all evening and night like mine.

I make less milk on the weekends than I used to when I pumped, for sure. But as Joe gets older, I am trying to encourage him to eat snacks and drink water during the day more, NIP less, etc. (Keep in mind that "less" is a relative term - he's a boobaholic.) So the lower production has not been a problem, and I always seem to have enough to put him down for a nap anyway.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    For pump weaning, I think it does help a lot if your baby is nursing nonstop all evening and night like mine.

I make less milk on the weekends than I used to when I pumped, for sure. But as Joe gets older, I am trying to encourage him to eat snacks and drink water during the day more, NIP less, etc. (Keep in mind that "less" is a relative term - he's a boobaholic.) So the lower production has not been a problem, and I always seem to have enough to put him down for a nap anyway.
    Yeah, my little guy's a food HOUND and drinks milk as an after thought. There are very few times when he would nurse in public at this point maybe that's because i don't go out in public???

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    maybe that's because i don't go out in public???
    Well, yeah, that'll do it!

I will say, Joe got really clingy and into long, LONG, LOOOOONGGGGG nursing sessions around 13 months, after the distractible phase, so things can change.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Well, yeah, that'll do it!

I will say, Joe got really clingy and into long, LONG, LOOOOONGGGGG nursing sessions around 13 months, after the distractible phase, so things can change.
    I've definitely seen his nursing habits change in general. There are DEFINITE times when he knows he wants to nurse, and he rarely just does the drive-by's anymore. When he's ready to nurse now, we need a solid half hour. Before, he would snack here and there for five-ten minutes.

Breakfast: a banana, 1/4 c oatmeal, a slice of ham

Snack: 1 yobaby yogurt

L: a beechnut growups spagetthios

Snack: dried apple, graham crackers

D: cheese cubes, mixed frozen veggies, goldfish, and bites of whatever we are having.

She nurses every hour or two except when I'm at work in the am. I'm never sure she eats enough.

Weekends I give Will a bread, a fruit, and milk for breakfast. He eats about 1/2 a banana or 1/4 of berries, maybe 1/4 cup of cereal, about 4 oz. of milk. If its a waffle or pancake, he eats about 1/2 of one. If its a muffin, he eats a whole one. On the rare occasions we have meat for breakfast, he eats 1 slice of bacon or 1 piece of sausage or 1/2 a slice of ham. Weekdays he eats whatever they have a daycare.
    For lunch he eats whatever the girls are eating, but deconstructed and cut up small. I.E., the other day they had a meatball sandwich. I sent the meatballs in a container, cut up small, and the bun wrapped up separately, and the teacher tears the bun up for him. I sent a little container of macaroni salad. (And I mean little, maybe a scant 1/4 cup, because he's just learning to eat those foods.) Of course if they have pudding or cottage cheese or yogurt he can be fed that. If they have a soft fruit (oranges, grapes, banana, pineapple, peaches, pears, strawberries) I just cut it up very small. If they have a harder one (apples) or vegetable (carrots, green peppers) I shave them with a vegetable peeler and give him the shavings. I have not figured out how to give him celery, broccoli, or cucumbers raw. If they have one of those things I send him cooked green peas or limas.
    For dinner he has whatever we are having, again deconstructed and cut up small, with the exception of pasta sauce. I just can't deal with the mess. I give him the pasta on his tray and feed him the sauce with a spoon. I give him milk with his meals and juice with his snacks.
    For snack he has fruit, small crackers (goldfish, teddy grahams), yogurt, pudding, applesauce, something like that, and juice, about 4 oz.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

Mollie - 15mo

B - breast in bed before getting up, then fruit (1-2 cuties (what is it with babies and cuties?), 1 banana, 1 peach, 1 nectarine, 2 plums, 1 peeled apple, occasional canned fruit in pear juice - about 1/2 can), and maybe oatmeal - 1 packet instant or 1/2c regular
    Breast again before morning/noon nap
    L - 1-2 veggies (2-3 slices raw cucumber - peeled, 1c cooked green beans, 1c corn, 1c beans (any kind, she loves them all), 1 small sweet potato - plain, 1 small white potato with a little cooking spray), maybe some cheese or mac and cheese, and if there is some leftover meat from the night before, I give her some of that, especially ham...she'll eat that as long as I give it to her.
    breast again around 2-5pm
    S - same as lunch

Mollie nurses along a loose schedule - in bed before rising, midmorning, midafternoon, and at night - but adds sessions as she needs.
    I also do not keep strict track of her snacking - I just keep easy stuff on hand to give her whenever she asks. She LOVES everything, so she is very easy to feed.
    Lori -
    wife to Davis, my best friend and strongest supporter
    43 yo mom to 3

Lee Allen Christopher - 18 - precious preemie , all grown up; BF 6 wks
    Connor Ethan - 13 - my red head , ALL boy, ALL the time; BF 14 mo
    Mollie Rhiannon - 4 - my surprise , more fun than I ever expected; BFing, no end in sight!!