Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sample daily menu with snacks for a 1YO?

Default Sample daily menu with snacks for a 1YO?

Would some of you share a sample menu (including portion size) of what your LO eats, including, snacks in addition to breastmilk?

I am a WOHM. I am still sending about 10 oz of EBM that I pump at work daily. I'm just curious about how much food I should be packing DD for DCP. I'm pretty lost, because all of my WOHM friends FF.

ETA: I should say they have FF, so it seems like their LOs pack away wayyyy more solids than my DD, who seems contented with the boobies.
    Last edited by @llli*yoginimama; January 27th, 2011 at 05:46 PM.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Default Re: Sample daily menu with snacks for a 1YO?

Now when DH works and I leave Joe with my sister, I pack something like the following:

Baggie with snacks - cheerios or puffs, cheese and crackers. Toast with peanut butter, etc.
    Small container of savory meal - a quarter of a sweet potato, some creamed spinach, etc. Frozen peas and corn make a tasty baby-led dish at that age, with a little butter or oil. Joe often gets leftovers of whatever we have in the fridge - noodles with sauce, casserole, beans, etc.

And maybe a piece of fruit? Small container of yogurt? Veggies and dip?

I think this is overkill though.

ETA, my baby is a lot older than yours. Still, I think you start out giving too much, and then adjust when you see what gets sent home.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I feed TJ whole milk yogurt, apples and oranges .
    We also sauted tofu and paneer for evening snacks .

Thanks
    Mangai

Red face Re: Sample daily menu with snacks for a 1YO?

wow!how old can you introduce real milk,and icecream?

C is two and a half, but it is still a struggle to get him to eat. I work from home and usually have a pick platter out at all times so he can eat whenever he feels like it, but there are times when we need to be out for the day and I pack his lunch and snacks to bring with us.

For lunch, I do things like peanut butter sandwiches cut into shapes with a cookie cutter, half of a quesadilla, whole wheat pasta tossed in extra virgin olive oil and herbs, rice and beans, leftovers from dinner, etc. Then I have two or three options of fruit and vegetables. Some of his favorites are apple slices, cuties, banana, grapes, blueberries, strawberries, cantaloupe, honeydew, baby carrots, cucumber slices, grape tomatoes, celery, etc. I try to give him a variety of things to choose from at all times.

For snacks, he likes yogurt, crackers, fruit, vegetables, or cheese. He loves to dip things, so many times I will give him hummus or ranch dressing to dip pita chips or vegetables.
    Last edited by @llli*MommyToAC; January 27th, 2011 at 07:06 PM.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

breakfast: half a half a bagel with cream cheese (sometimes she just eats the cream cheese) or a bowl of oatmeal (size of one instant package)

lunch: a burrito or half a sandwich or something like that, sometimes a portion of rice pudding

dinner: small bowl of stir fry or large bowl of pasta (she loves pasta) basically whatever we are eating though.

snacks: periodically throughout the day - apple slices, orange wedges, steamed veggies, soft fruits, cheese

My main meals tend to be starch/carb heavy so my snacks aren't.

I will say though that DD never went to DC with less than 9 oz of BM and around a year I stopped sending any - she is a great eater. DS was not into food at this age so he just had tastes of whatever he felt like
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

The daycare where my kids go has a really great menu that is approved by a dietician... If you're interested, I can either post the snacks they provide here in this thread (1 snack each day, 3 weeks worth) or you can PM me your email address and I can send you an electronic copy of the whole menu (3 weeks worth of breakfast, lunch, and snack).
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

When I go to work this is what DD eats

B ios or part of a whole wheat pancake
    snack offered: apple slice, little piece of cheese
    L: a few noodles, cottage cheese, a couple of green beans
    S: little slice of orange or apple or something.
    D: little piece of whole wheat pizza (I usually make our own pizzas and freeze them for after work).

She's 18 months now, some times she eats so little, some times she can eat quite a bit. She nurses all the time when I'm home, though, and all through the night still. She now drinks 3 oz of EBM while I'm at work.

Nice, "cheerios"
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My Lo also gets about 10 oz a day of bm. I nurse him before i leave, once or twice during the night and twice when i get home. So he's still eating a good amount of bm and is nursing for longer periods of time since he's cut a couple of nursing times out.

After i nurse him in the morning, DH usually gives him a piece of toast with a little bit of peanut butter, half a banana and a clementine.

For lunch, he usually has some black beans, some cottage cheese, some avocado. If he's still hungry (he feeds all of his food to himself, and we judge his hunger by when he starts throwing things to Haddie ) we'll give him more. Sometimes lunch is just leftovers of whatever we had the night before.

Another staple is cheddar cheese. We get blocks and i give him a couple small slices.

Dinner: not as much. I'm home and he likes milk from the source - but he will eat a half a grilled cheese, half a piece of pizza, a few bites of haddock and rice or whatever we're having plus a clementine that kid could eat 14 clementines a day.

Sometimes if i'm running late my Mom will give him a ricecake with PB and a veggie instead of dinner.

Max eats basically whatever we put in front of him and I would say lunch is his biggest solid meal during the day (i'm guessing because i'm not here to nurse) DH says it's been harder to get him to drink milk from a bottle/sippy cup during the day and I think he makes up for it in solids. Fruits and veggies and cheese and beans are defintitely our go-to foods, and we offer the til he's done. We also try to just give him what we're eating for dinner if we're together, so what i put above is for when i'm alone really.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*anasmum View Post
    wow!how old can you introduce real milk,and icecream?
    My milk is real. I understand you can introduce cow's milk at one year. I suppose ice cream would follow. I don't eat dairy, so I never really thought about that.

I would do plain yogurt or cottage cheese before ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    My Lo also gets about 10 oz a day of bm. I nurse him before i leave, once or twice during the night and twice when i get home. So he's still eating a good amount of bm and is nursing for longer periods of time since he's cut a couple of nursing times out.
    Julia, are you still pumping at work? Me too. Are you going to pump wean? I'm trying to plan it or think about it. I want to do it, but why does it make me nervous?

I PM'ed you, Buff. Thanks, girls!!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!