Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13 month old - dropped nursing sessions :(

Unhappy 13 month old - dropped nursing sessions :(

My DD will be 13 months next week. She started to transition to 1 nap/day this week, which has been rough. We're still working on it. Well she's also become an erratic nurser. She used to nurse (roughly): at wake; before morning nap; after morning nap; before afternoon nap; bedtime (5 times). NOW...she does an "express" session upon waking (taking only one side); nurses again mid-morning (10 am); doesn't want to nurse before the nap (12 noon); doesn't want to nurse after nap; and then nurses before bed (3 times total).

She's just started to walk and the energy level has gone WAY up...she's literally all over the house, into everything. So I'm not sure if it's just total distraction; new experiences; etc...that she feels she doesn't have time to nurse anymore? Maybe the whole nap transition has her thrown off?

Side note: she LOVES to eat all foods, it's really quite amazing how much she eats, so I know she's getting her nutrients. But I always try to offer to nurse before offering solid food and it's so painful to get denied.

I'm just having a really rough time with this...not sure if it's a "phase" or if she's in fact weaning. (I'm not ready to stop!)

Should I be pumping? Or just go with the flow with baby? Thank you for any assistance/support!

Default Re: 13 month old - dropped nursing sessions :(

I don't have any advice but I'm in the same boat. My son is also 13 months and has some erratic nursing days. Sometimes I think he is teething and will only nurse 3 times, other days about 5. Some days he takes 2 naps other days it's one. One nap means an earlier bedtime. He just gets so cranky but won't always take that afternoon nap. Too much on his baby agenda I guess.

I feel bad too when he doesn't want to nurse. It's hard thinking of weaning and I'm surprised I feel this way. I dont think completely weaning is anytime soon though. Off days are normal IMO.

I don't think you need to pump, I don't but I really hate that thing.
    Last edited by @llli*decbaby; January 14th, 2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: More
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.

IMHO, I would not pump. I think it is a phase. My son cycled through a time when he nursed less and now he is nursing more. I do not think many stop this young on their own.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wvmom View Post
    IMHO, I would not pump. I think it is a phase. My son cycled through a time when he nursed less and now he is nursing more. I do not think many stop this young on their own.
    Yeah, I hope it's not weaning! How often does your son nurse now on average?
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

Nursed DD1 for 28 months and am now nursing DD2 going on 7 months!

When I am at home with him, probably 8 times a day. Sometimes just for a few minutes, sometimes more. At least twice during the night, usually three When I work, probably 4-5 times. I do not pump anymore.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

to the OP and mamas who chimed in with similar experiences.

when my DS was around 13 mos, he too began to cut back dramatically on nursing. cut back so much that my hormones plummetted and i felt depressed for days and couldn't figure out why, until he started nursing more again and suddenly i felt like my normal self had returned. it had been quite a shock to my body to go from nursing 8+ times a day to 4-5 times!

i bet your LO(s) are cutting back temporarily. they become so busy with exploring their worlds and walking or learning to walk. they still need their mamas though!

encourage plenty of snuggle time and offer the breast and see where your child leads.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

So here's another question...how does your son/daughter tell you when they want to nurse? Or is it more scheduled? Sofia was pretty predictable for awhile...she would nurse upon waking; before naptime; after naptime; and bedtime. Now, she's so active and dropped a few sessions...so in order to keep "offering", I'm trying to read her cues. When I offer and she's not ready, she bites me and jumps off my lap. I've been trying to teach her the sign for "milk" for awhile, but no luck just yet.
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

...also...you mentioned nursing 8 times a day...what is considered a "nursing session" at this age anyway? Does your LO take both breasts each time? For how long? Or nibbles here and there? Just curious, thanks

Hiya mama, my DD is about to turn one this week so I'm not experienced in nursing beyong 1yr. But as I'm pg and my supply is slowing down I try to offer each breast to her at least 2 or 3 of the sessions over 24-hrs, although most of the time I am too tired (asleep) to give the other one, or I feel like getting up and doing something else. For supply reasons I try to offer both, but she's okay with nursing one or both.

I guess latching on counts as a nursing sesssion at this age, or nursing for as much and as long as LO (and in my case, mum) want.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

My LO will be 13 mos next week and i've been going through this with him too. He loves to nurse in the am, then before his nap and after, but then he'll really go from about 2-7 wihtout nursing at all, and wake up only once during the night to nurse.

I have found the times that he does want to nurse are generally longer, but I do't know if that's because my supply's gone down or what?

I'm in your boat too, i'm not ready to wean and i hope he's not either

I don't pump when i'm home with him ever, but i still do pump at work once a day.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it