Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Emergency Birth Control?

Default Emergency Birth Control?

Help! Just a few weeks ago, my period returned (my son turned 1 on Saturday) and on Saturday morning, the condom broke! Is it o.k. to take the morning-after pill while breastfeeding??

Default Re: Emergency Birth Control?

Wow, I would call a doctor about that one. And/or talk to a lactation consultant.

There are also numbers on the main la leche page that you can call for help so you wouldn't be relying on this forum for your answer. Good luck!

This link has some great info on safety and risks of using hormonal birth control while BFing. It specifically discusses Plan B, the most widely used and thought to be the safest “morning after pill.” I have no experience with this, but this may help you get the info you need.
    Birth Control and Breastfeeding
    FYI: Plan B is not considered an “abortion pill” and will not terminate a fertilized egg that has implanted in the uterus. It may prevent ovulation, prevent fertilization, or prevent implantation of a fertilized egg. There are some health risks associated with it which you should be aware of before making the decision to take it, see the link above. There is a limited amount of time in which Plan B is effective.
    ALSO NOTE: I am NOT a health care professional and this is not medical advice.
    I hope that helps!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks!!

You're welcome, and I want to add that I agree with Eliza's mom that you should seek the advice of a health care professional and/or LC also.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on