Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not eating

Default Not eating

My DD was born at 31 weeks and is now 36 weeks and a day. She is healthy in every aspect other then being a little anemic but the dr's aren't to worried about that. She could come home but she hasn't figured out the eating thing. She currently is gavaged 46ml. When I try breast feeding she'll latch but not suck. With bottle feedings (my breast milk) she only takes about 10 mls and then falls asleep. I met with a speech pathologist who said she could be overstimulated but i feel frustrated because i can't help how the NICU is lighted and all the noise.

Part of me wants to give up trying to breastfeed and just do bottle so she can get the hang of it and come home quicker. They keep saying one day it will click but it doesn't seem like it. Any advice on getting her to eat and not use a tube?

Default Re: Not eating

This link may help: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html In particular, the instant reward and skin-to-skin techniques could be helpful in getting your baby to try out the whole sucking thing...

Has anyone suggested kangaroo care to you? Basically, it's skin-to-skin contact between mama and baby, and the more of it the better.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We've been doing Kangaroo care since she was able to be held. It has been amazing and has helped with a lot of things except the feeding issue. We try to kangaroo at least once a day.

Hi there,

Just seeing how things ended up going for you.

Cissy
    Mom of 8
    Nursing 6 1/2 week old baby who was born at 36/6