Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning - and sad

Unhappy Weaning - and sad

I recently started to wean my 17 mo dd. We have pretty much eliminated the bedtime nursing and today she went down for a nap without nursing - so assuming this keeps up, we will soon have only 1 session per day, which is the early morning one. I'll eliminate that one as soon as I'm sure she's adjusted to the others.

So it's all going well. She's cried a few times, really angry and upset at me, but I am able to comfort her other ways so I am sure she'll soon stop.

I'm just sad. It's the my-baby-is-growing-up kind of sadness.

I needed to share with someone(s) that I felt would understand.

I. Just. Feel. Sad.

Default Re: Weaning - and sad

I'm sorry for your sadness. I think as mommies, we have a long road of "sadness" to conquer. Growing up too fast!!! First steps (not my infant anymore) bigger clothes (not my baby anymore) Bigger shoes, pre-school, kindergarden, middle school, first dates.......OMG, mines only 5mo and you're making me cry!!! ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))) to you mommy!!! You've done the absolute best for you LO. You're a GREAT mommy!!!!! Hopefully, being able to lay your head on your pillow at night and know that you did the BEST for your little girl should help ballance some of that sadness. I'm thinking about you.

Default Re: Weaning - and sad

I really know how you feel. My ds weaned at about 15 months and I never expected to feel so ambivalent about it. I just assumed that I would be glad to get my body back and that I could go out for dinner or drinks with friends and not necessarily come home first (the last to go for us was before bed). After he weaned, I felt like there was a part of me missing and I missed not having boobie in my bag of tricks. It was hard for the first week or so to know that ds would not be breasfeeding anymore. But now, 2 months later, things have gradually changed and I am bonding with ds in whole new ways. I am getting a lot more hugs and kisses during those times he used to nurse. Give it some time. Bfing for 17 months is a good, long time and ending it isn't easy. (((((HUGS)))))