Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I know if it's Thrush?!

Default How do I know if it's Thrush?!

Hi all. I am new here, hoping to get some responses because I am so lost! BFing has been great so far, my little one is almost 6 weeks and I love it. Recently, I've been experiencing two problems. I know this is long, but I REALLY need help and want to explain it all the best I can!

1) I get random shooting pains in my breasts/nipples. I don't think I have any plugged ducts and yet I see no exterior signs of thrush (I know sometimes you don't always see it). I do have a history of yeast infections and would not be surprised if I had thrush inside my breasts. My daughters tongue seems to be white from drinking milk as it lessens a couple hours after nursing her, however it's never completely a pink tongue (do babies ever 100% get rid of the white from the milk on their tongue?)

I plan on taking simple sugars out of my diet, adding probiotics and possibly purchasing pau d'arco extract. I bought motherlove thrush cream and honestly, it seems like it made it worse.

2) My daughter has what seems like an insane amount of gas. I don't know what's normal but man, it kills me to see her wiggle around- sometimes yell out in pain. I spent 45 minutes comforting her last night after a bout of it. I am pretty sure it is from my forceful let down. I tried pumping some of the milk out to slow the flow but it takes forever, it just sprays and sprays. She nurses every 2-4 hours, but even after 1 hour it is very intense! I tried nursing her in a reclined position but she hates it, she also does not like the clutch hold or nursing on top of me. What else can I do??
    Related to that, w/ her gas, is it REALLY true that foods that I eat can cause her gas? I don't drink cow milk and don't really eat other dairy except yogurt and some cheese. I do LOVE onions, garlic- broccoli- spinach- beans- all gassy foods but I thought they were gassy because of how WE break the down in our intestions, so how does it transfer through breast milk??

Thanks for reading, I look forward to your responses!!

Default Re: How do I know if it's Thrush?!

Most mothers with thrush feel "burning" and "itching" in their nipples in addition to shooting pains in the breast with letdown - "aching" pains in the breasts could be intense, but normal, letdown sensations.

However, it's common to not be able to "see" symptoms in your nipples or in your baby's mouth. A white tongue is normal - normally we suggest you look for white patches on the insides of baby's cheeks. But again, babies can be asymptomatic with thrush. If you're feeling burning and itching, you probably have thrush.

Does this help?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

It helps somewhat haha, thanks. I had read burning and itching was common with it, and I can't say that I feel that. But part of me is scared, yeast infections seem to have a way of getting bad fast, at least with me. Then again this feeling has been happening for about 5 days and nothing else is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Most mothers with thrush feel "burning" and "itching" in their nipples in addition to shooting pains in the breast with letdown - "aching" pains in the breasts could be intense, but normal, letdown sensations.

However, it's common to not be able to "see" symptoms in your nipples or in your baby's mouth. A white tongue is normal - normally we suggest you look for white patches on the insides of baby's cheeks. But again, babies can be asymptomatic with thrush. If you're feeling burning and itching, you probably have thrush.

Does this help?

I'm not convinced it's thrush. But don't want to steer you away from investigating it either. Kellymom.com has great advice on investigating thrush. Your story sounds a lot like mine when my babe was that little. The OALD can definitely cause those shooting pains for a little bit. I remember asking about it here around the same time in my nursing relationship as you are now. And OALD definitely can be the culprit for baby's gas. I would stay away from the pump if you have OALD it can make it worse. I remember that spray, there were times when it seems to spray all the way across the room Something that helped me was to latch baby and achieve letdown, unlatch baby and spray into a cloth until it slowed down and then relatch her. Burping often helps a lot with the gas too. Dr. Sears has some really great info on soothing gas pains. Hang in there. Gas tends to get so much better once baby becomes more active. I also think investigating possible problem foods is a good idea. Good luck! I hope you get some relief soon.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Oh and I wanted to add this link about positions that can help baby handle the fast flow. There is a great pic of "The Australian" hold and I loved that position. Another to try is sidelaying. With side lying baby can allow milk to dribble out of her mouth if her mouth becomes to full of milk. Just be sure if you use this positon with OALD that you lay a cloth or a towel under baby's head!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

I am also prone to yeast infections, and I have to say, when I had thrush, I knew that was what I had (getting doctors on board - that's a whole nuther story). It itched like ... nobody's business. And it burned. And my letdowns burned. It was quite distinct.

Whereas I also had OALD, and my "normal" letdown sensations were always, shall we say, intense. Aching pains that sent a shiver down my spine, like the aches you get when you have a bad fever. (BTW, that goes away, now I can feel just a slight sensation, no discomfort at all.)

Of course, everyone is different, and this is a hard thing to talk about because no one is going to feel exactly the same as everyone else. And probiotics, etc . - Do it! it can do no harm, it might do good.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.