Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lactose intolerance??

Default Re: Lactose intolerance??

llowe,
    Thanks! I will try the soy yogurt for him (didn't know there was a soy yogurt available!) and see how that works out. Not sure what's up with the tummy troubles though. I have cut out dairy, so let us see how he does in a couple weeks. Thanks again for your tips.

emerald,

Thanks for posting your update. That helps me a bit too, since we've been having some of the same issues with our veggie not-quite-toddler. The goat's milk didn't work out, and DS didn't like Rice Dream either. We are a bit nervous about trying soy since he seems to have some allergy or sensitivity to other highly allergenic foods. At this point DS is drinking water at daycare and nursing in the evenings and on weekends. He wakes up several times a night to nurse (the joys of reverse cycling!) so I know he is getting good nutrition that way.

We've been continuing to give DS yogurt and cheese. The straight milk seemed like more of a problem. Our doctor thinks that what we saw was teething, not dairy, anyway. Their practice routinely does allergy testing with a lead test at one year, and we should get those results soon. So we'll have a bit more information.

My story probably doesn't help you much--but at least you know you have company in your boat! Good luck.

Trisha,
    I got the Rice Dream for myself and considered giving it to my ds but in the carton it says 'For children under 5, consult a doctor'. Do you know if I can offer it with cereal/other food to my ds? Did you baby's ped okay it? Thanks!

Hi,

Our baby's ped didn't ok the Rice Dream before we tried it, and I didn't check with them about it. I just talked to them today, though, since we got the allergy results back. DS has a mild dairy allergy, as we suspected, and a moderate (not quite severe but too close for comfort as far as I'm concerned!) allergy to egg whites.

Our ped said to continue what we are doing. DS can eat yogurt and cheese at daycare since those don't bother him, and it is fine for him to drink water there during the day since he nurses with me at night. After DS weans we should give him soy milk, the doc said.

Beyond knowing they are allergenic, I hadn't thought much about egg whites. I was surprised DS is as allergic to them as he is. I generally eat eggs at least once a week, not that I will any more.

I am sorry your baby has such tummy troubles. Is it all legumes or just lentils? My baby likes lentils, and red and navy beans but not black beans.