Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lactose intolerance??

Default Lactose intolerance??

Hi,

I have tried this on and off - whole milk for my toddler. But whenever I have given whole milk to my son, either on the same day, or after 2 or 3 days in a row of cow's milk, he has bad tummy ache a few hours later especially during his nap/mostly before or during night sleep times. Does this sound familar to anyone? It doesn't look like an allergy because he doesn't have any other symptom than a bloated stomach (i think) which causes his stomach ache. The pain doesn't ease completely with the mylicon drops but somewhat. I read that lactose intolerance happens more after 3 years of age?? My son is 18 months old. Could he have lactose intolerance or is this something else?

FMI, I drink atleast 2 cups of milk every day and that doesn't seem to bother him. He breastfeeds atleast 5 times a day still. He is a very picky eater which is why I wanted to get him started on milk once a day for the protien/calcium. I have noticed a similar problem when he has the baby yogurt too, sometimes (which he loves, mainly because of yobaby's flavors - doesn't like plain yogurt/cheese).

TIA.

Default Re: Lactose intolerance??

Hi,

We just started to have a similar problem with the cow milk DS was drinking at day care for the past couple of weeks. I posted about this under 'feeding your family', but anyway, we are going to try goat's milk today. Good luck to you!

It *could* be lactose intolerance. Could you try lactose free milk to see if it helps?

hard to say bc we have lactose in our breastmilk. My ds has a dairy allergy and too much dairy really does a number on his tummy

I would say it could be lactose intolerance but not likely. It is more likely either an allergy or intolerance to the protein in the cow's milk. Lactose intolerance in a child that young is very rare, and it would likely also cause a problem with breastmilk. Mild allergies can cause only tummy upset with no other symptoms. Also, I believe kids can have an *intolerance* to dairy protein that isn't a true allergy, which could cause stomache upset. Of course it wouldn't hurt to try the lactose free milk, but you might have more luck just cutting out dairy for awhile and then trying it again when he's a little older. Goat's milk is also an option, but *most* people who are allergic to cow's milk are also allergic to goat's milk. With 5 nursings a day, he's probably still getting a good amount of breastmilk. Are there other sources of protein in his diet?

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your inputs. We had a 18 month dr. visit today and I brought this up with his doctor. He said that it is very possible that he is lactose intolerant at this point, and that the levels of lactose in cow's milk are much higher than the breast milk. So I have gotten the lactose free milk from store but want to wait for him to get over his cold before I can try it.

Thanks again and I will post back on what I find out.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your inputs. We had a 18 month dr. visit today and I brought this up with his doctor. He said that it is very possible that he is lactose intolerant at this point, and that the levels of lactose in cow's milk are much higher than the breast milk. So I have gotten the lactose free milk from store but want to wait for him to get over his cold before I can try it.

Thanks again and I will post back on what I find out.
    This answer from the doc surprises me because I thought it was the other way around--breastmilk is higher in lactose than cow's milk . That's why it's so much sweeter. I looked it up online and found a site that said breastmilk had 7 grams lactose per 100g while cow's milk had I think 4.5. Are there different types of lactose??? Now I'm interested to see how your LO does with the lactose free milk.

Hi emerald,
    There was a recent article in New Beginnings about What Makes Human Milk Special and in the article there's a small table comparing composition of milk of various mammals. The whole table is here.
    Milk Compostion - Species Table
    The lactose in cow's milk varied from 4.7% to 5.1% whereas human milk listed as 6.8%.
    It's usually the proteins in cow's milk (and other foods) that can cause sensitivity. Maybe you could ask your doctor and/or think about other ways to increase protein and calcium other than cow's milk?
    I'd be interested in hearing how things go for you, too!
    Mary
    Last edited by @llli*LLLMaryP; October 28th, 2006 at 07:44 PM. Reason: updating info

Hi Mary and llowe - You were right, he must be mildly allergic to cow milk. I tried the lactose free milk with same results The ped suggested lactose intolerance, but also said that if we find out that he is allergic to cow milk, that we try soy milk instead for protein - any one give soy milk to their toddlers?

Also another important question - since he is allergic to cow milk, is it true that his tummy cannot handle yogurt as well? Or anyone here offer yogurt to their dairy sensitive toddler? Please let me know, as yogurt has more than one benefit to a vegetarian toddler's diet (nutrition, preventing constipation). I had initially thought of giving him home made yogurt again (last I tried was a while ago), but now am not sure. Also, I myself tried the yobaby yogurt the other day, and it felt so acidic - no idea why. I dont get the same feeling with home made yogurt.

My toddler is picky, but I don't blame him entirely for this. Whenever he eats certain foods such as lentils etc, he gets a tummy ache. This is now my biggest worry. Shouldn't an 18 month old be easily able to handle something as simple as lentils when some of my other friends are offering 'fried rice' to their kids!!? My doctor suggested that I take dairy out of my diet to help him digest other foods more easily and/or be able to eliminate what actually bothers his tummy. So, I, the vegetarian dairy lover, have started today by cutting out every thing dairy from my diet. Keeping my fingers crossed for this week's try. I guess though that it takes upto 2 weeks for the milk protein to get out of the system and see results. Patiences is the key...

The worst thing of it is when all your close kin start blaming you & breastfeeding for causing all this....it can get pretty overwhelming emotionally Oh well...

Sorry this turned out so long, but Thanks again for your responses - you ladies are so smart, resourceful and a big support.

Well, at least now you know what the problem is--so that's good. I come from a family with lots of food allergies (and my DS has a couple), so I've done a decent amount of research and talking with the doc about it. With a food allergy, I've been told the best hope of being able to outgrow it comes with completely avoiding the food for awhile. So, I wouldn't recommend the yogurt (at least not at this young age). While other dairy products can be more easily tolerated than straight milk, it's likely to still cause a reaction and could make it take longer for your son to outgrow the allergy. We have not used soy milk because my son's allergic to soy , but many people do find it to be a good alternative to cow's milk. Soy is also a common allergen, but not nearly as common as dairy. If your son is fine with soy, you could try soy yogurt. I'm not sure about the problems with the other foods. Did they test for any other allergies? Maybe his tummy just takes a long time to adjust to new things?